CPU on a lappy help

Kylothian

Howzit peeps

My knowledge on laptops is VEEEEEEEEEEERY limited :withstupid:

My birthday is coming up soon (critical information this and im sure everyone cares), im looking into investing into a laptop, going to be used for work purposes and gaming (lan's) and all that cause dragging a pc everywhere is becoming a hassle... plus i really want a laptop

Now what im currently looking into investing is the Mecer Xpression W370ET.

It Comes with a decent graphics card and I can get the barebone for quite cheap with the basic of parts (4gb of ram 320gb hhd and a i3 cpu) the parts i want to replace it with i can get at a very good price from my suppliers

Some upgrade idea's i have in mind

The laptop comes with:

3 ram slots which im going to kit with 3x 8gb corsair vengence

2 HHD bays which im going to install a 120gb ssd for OS and prolly a 750 or a tb WD black drive for storage

Thats all good and dandy this is what im curious about is the following I can get the lappy with a Intel

Edited by Kylothian

Can't put a desktop CPU into a laptop motherboard, pin layout and TDP won't allow for it. Broken link for RAM :(

Only place I've seen laptop pin CPUs for sale is ebay at not so amazing prices and usually engineering sample.. though I did see a GTX560M for $99

Don't forget to get a 2.5" or whaetver HDD, and unless the Laptop comes with two HDD bays and a DVD drive, I assume there is space only for a SSD and DVD drive or a SSD and HDD with no DVD. In the link below it states that it has two SATA ports soo...

Is the price that different from a Sager?

More info here :P

http://www.laptopdirect.co.za/laptop_specifications.php?laptop=64250

Edited by DanTheGamer11

Fixed link for ram

Fair enough was just curious in hopes i could "pimp" the lappy to my spec but I'll be happy with the Cpu. The lappy comes with 2 HHD bays and a DVD drive AFAIK... will double check on that.. but honestly who uses dvd's these days :P so prolly going to kit it with 2 hhd, I have a external dvd drive for just in case.

Is the price that different from a Sager?

More info here :P

http://www.laptopdirect.co.za/laptop_specifications.php?laptop=64250

Thats pretty much where I am getting the laptop... well the barebone unit of it and then the ram, drives and additional toys im getting from suppliers as it is going to work out cheaper than getting it through them. That's why I was curious on the cpu cause I can get a very nice chip for a decent price. But all in all after i've fully pimped out the lappy should run like a dream  :no:

Im still browsing around for lappy's but sofar for what I am getting and price I'm paying its a beaut and best option

If I had the funds i'd go for a xps or ROG but sadly bit out of my budget

I'd recommend checking the maximum amount of RAM supported by the laptop motherboard too. :thumbsup:

Multiple websites say 24GB, But according to Sager and other websites only i7s support over 16GB and With Windows Professional 7 and up... not sure if it's a marketing ploy.

@OP - The RAM looks decent, not sure if you really need High Performance RAM in a laptop, get it if you don't really mind spending money. Also be sure the 2nd HDD doesn't need a caddy/mount..

You be from NZ?

Edited by DanTheGamer11

It can run 24gb of ram, buddy of mine has same laptop... suppose 16gb is enought but why settle for 16 when u can have 24gb...lol I prefer using that ram cause its trusted.... Im sure its not needed but hey if I have the option why not.

Im sadly from South Africa so our pick of choices on lappy's and parts are very limited... .There are awesome lappy's out in the world but importing it is going to nail me on costs sadly, and as I figured out most people overcharge just to wear there name on the laptop :( so unfair

Thanks for the advice kinda forgot about the mount.... so will just double check that :)

Will update if I change my mind

Edited by Kylothian

I'd recommend checking the maximum amount of RAM supported by the laptop motherboard too. :thumbsup:

Also be sure the 2nd HDD doesn't need a caddy/mount..

You be from NZ?

Sorry hit wrong buttons

Dunno how to remove this (facepalm)

Edited by Kylothian

For a gaming laptop you need to look at three things in order of importance

1) Graphics, get the best graphics card you can afford

2) then aim for a better CPU between similar models that have that best GPU in question, (i5 at minimum but i5 will be just find to feed the stronger GPUs)

3) SSD, it'd just make the system better overall (usually cheaper to seperate from the laptop when building or speccing one out)

Honorable mention

RAM: really 8GB will be perfectly fine for anything you'd be doing, unless you've maxed out the other three categories I'd not upgrade the memory passed 8GB. (most high end models should have atleast 8GB)

Resolution: This is really important for image quality and productivity when not gaming, but keep in mind that it will be the achilles heel when gaming and you may have to lower settings or the resolution down to something easier like 1366x768 for better framerates. Personally I'll never get a laptop that doesn't ATLEAST meet the resolution of my last laptop. (1st laptop: 1280x800, 2nd: 1680x1050, 3rd: 1920x1080, 4th: 1920x1080)

Hope I've helped...

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Ive taken pretty much all that in account...

1. The lapppy comes with a  GTX 660M - which is decent...anything higher than this is going spike up the price outside my budget

2. comes with options of i3,i5 or i7 decided on the i7 cause im not planning on buying or upgrading anything anytime soon

3. SSD is a must (never used one), ive gone with this lappy because it does come with 2 hhd bays, so an SSD (120gb prolly) for OS and then a HHD ( WD Black 750) for storage

Prolly 8gb is enough, Im considering just pimping it with 16gb of ram and ill be sorted... if i feel its REALLY needed ill shove in another stick.

Resolution I refuse to get a lappy running less than 1920x1080, Ive eliminated alot laptops that I like just because they didnt offer the correct resolution

Im doing my research extensively before im buying, sofar this laptop is the only one fullfulling what im looking for

Thank you for the input

Edited by Kylothian

>>>UPDATE<<<

Order is going in next week...

Ive decided on the Mecer Xpression W370ET lappy - kitting it with:

- 16gb of corsair vengeance (2x 8GB 1600hmz) Ram

- 1x 120gb Corsair Vertex 4 SSD

- 1x 750GB WD Scorpio Black 7200 2.5 HHD

For cooling im going with

Cooler Master NOTEPAL X3, BLACK, FOR 17", AERODYNAMIC AIRFLOW DESIGN, FRONT VENT

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3075

Additional accessories:

Bag - still choosing between - http://www.manhattan-products.com/en-US/products/5591-everest-notebook-computer-backpack

and                                      - http://www.roccat.org/Products/Gaming-Accessories/ROCCAT-Into/

Got myself the Roccat Isku Keyboard

- http://www.roccat.org/Products/Gaming-Keyboards/ROCCAT-Isku/

Going to stick with the Roccat peripherals just looking for a mouse I like

Then my upgrading is done forever....(translation -> for now) 

Thanks for all the input thus far guys

Cant wait for payday