NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Gaming Reviewed

Bosco

Can't say I agree with an Editors' Choice here.

Why is that?

Is the best single-GPU currently available? Yes. But is is the best cost-to-performance ratio? Not by a long shot. Like I said, it really only shines if you're using a multi-monitor setup, or if you really care about conserving some energy (but really, if you're building a high-end rig, you already don't care about that. lol).

Just because something is the current leader, doesn't mean it deserves an EC, IMO. If it smoked the 690 (which is available for the same price), sure, but it didn't. In fact, it lost to it, again, unless you're using multi-monitors.

The question is, would you (or Frank) recommend this to anyone building a new system? If not, then IMO, it certainly doesn't deserve an EC.

Yes I would, Dual GPU on a single PCB still has some latency issues where two singles are going to be better any which way you go. If you want the best performance in a dual slot 10.5 inch form factor GTX Titan is it. Is it worth it for someone only playing at 1920x1080? Probably not but for those that can take advantage of a 4k monitor oh hell yeah.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for the price im am not impressed 

id rather sli two gtx 680's and save myself $100

or better yet crossfife a couple of 7970 and save myself $200 

Dual 7970s are nowhere near as smooth as a single Titan (or even a single 7970 most of the time).

for the price im am not impressed 

id rather sli two gtx 680's and save myself $100

or better yet crossfife a couple of 7970 and save myself $200 

Dual 7970s are nowhere near as smooth as a single Titan (or even a single 7970 most of the time).

all im saying is if one already has an 7970 and gtx 680 their money would be better sent on a second card as to send $1000 for prety much the same pefornce 

i myself will wait for new tech this 

this tech was avalible when the 680 came out and held back to over charge 

this tech was avalible when the 680 came out and held back to over charge 

Almost all of the GK110s were put into supercomputers up until recently. They didn't hold it just to overcharge.

I know that the Titan wasn't marketed for this, but no one has talked about the card being able to do double precision work quite well. Not as well as a Tesla k20x, but still way better than a 680. I know that no consumer will need that feature, but it's gotta count for something, right? :)

I know that the Titan wasn't marketed for this, but no one has talked about the card being able to do double precision work quite well. Not as well as a Tesla k20x, but still way better than a 680. I know that no consumer will need that feature, but it's gotta count for something, right? :)

Like I said in the review it has the ability to run double precision calculations. Its a gateway card for the person looking to start developing for CUDA without the spend for a Tesla. 

Like I said in the review it has the ability to run double precision calculations. Its a gateway card for the person looking to start developing for CUDA without the spend for a Tesla. 

I know that you mentioned it. It's just that everyone is whining about the somewhat steep price for a gaming card. The thing is though that it allows both gaming and double precision. I mean, that's gotta count for something. Btw, how well does it fold?  :teehee: and can double precision be used in folding for an advantage?

I wonder what the computing is like compared to the 7970, I know the 7970 wasn't really built for that but it's performance was a lot better than the 600 series, a comparison to a computing card would be nice