Game that takes most hard disk space

Jump4h

Hate to break it to you, but whether you like it or not, DD is already mainstream. Just because you can still get physical copies doesn't mean DD isn't mainstream. Practically every single game that comes out nowadays is available for DD, and for old school games, that's often the only way to buy them legitimately, aside from eBay.

Personally, I still buy physical copies for some games (Batman: Arkham Asylum and Dragon Age: Origins, most recently), but I have nothing against DD and buy from Steam all the time as well.

Mine used to be huge, but I've since uninstalled most of my games and will only load the ones I play regularly. Once I'm done with a game, I'll uninstall it instead of keeping it there like I used to. Since I can download at 1.2MB/s from Steam, I don't really care if i have to download it all over again if I want to play it.

If the savings cost of no physical copy was passed on to the consumer thats fine but they don't. I hate paying the same price for a game DD as in the store. That will also impact CE games. Many people like all the TANGIBLE goodies.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lots of naked girl mods? just kidding..?

lol no, just all of the DLC and expansions. :P I don't run too many mods, maybe 5 or 6 at the most. One of my friend's runs about 30 mods, so I can only imagine what his folder is like.

I'd have to say about half of my games are on Steam and the other are disc based. I am however, a big fan of games like Mass Effect where you can buy the disc and then they no longer need the disc to run. Whats the point of having a terabyte or so of storage if you need to run all your games on discs? Just install all the necessary info on the hard drive and thus eliminate the need for a disc to run the game. I'm still old school because I love having the disc for games and music, but I upload all my music onto my computer and then I only use the disc for my car... yet PC games still require the disc most of the time. I only hope Dragon Age is so large because it installs everything on the computer and then you don't need the disc again unless you need to install it again.

I hate physical copies. I usually just pop my key into a .txt file and rip the dvd onto an ISO. I can carry all the games I'm playing on my external and install them off there easy as pie. I dream for the day when optical discs are phased out. Me and my terabyte drives wait eagerly until this time :). Installs go pretty fast at ~30mb/s from my 500GB external or REALLY cook from my 1.5TB to my Veloci at like 90+mb/s :D

Edited by IVIYTH0S

If the savings cost of no physical copy was passed on to the consumer thats fine but they don't. I hate paying the same price for a game DD as in the store. That will also impact CE games. Many people like all the TANGIBLE goodies.

Look at Dragon Age: Origins. There are technically four different versions. Standard Edition (Physical), Standard Edition (Digital), Collector's Edition (Physical), Digital Deluxe Edition (essentially a Collector's Edition, but since you can't get the tin and cloth map, you get the first DLC included).

And as for cost savings, it's all up to the developers. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Often on Steam, there are pre-order deals with a percentage off.

Hate to break it to you, but whether you like it or not, DD is already mainstream. Just because you can still get physical copies doesn't mean DD isn't mainstream. Practically every single game that comes out nowadays is available for DD, and for old school games, that's often the only way to buy them legitimately, aside from eBay.

Personally, I still buy physical copies for some games (Batman: Arkham Asylum and Dragon Age: Origins, most recently), but I have nothing against DD and buy from Steam all the time as well.

Mine used to be huge, but I've since uninstalled most of my games and will only load the ones I play regularly. Once I'm done with a game, I'll uninstall it instead of keeping it there like I used to. Since I can download at 1.2MB/s from Steam, I don't really care if i have to download it all over again if I want to play it.

I don't delete my games because download speed is now 150KB/s. I used to have 2MB/s. :( The local cable company won't run a line to my new house so I have to use Qwest's slowest available DSL service. I think I'm gonna find where they buried the fiber pipe to the airbase and hack into that.

I don't delete my games because download speed is now 150KB/s. I used to have 2MB/s. :( The local cable company won't run a line to my new house so I have to use Qwest's slowest available DSL service. I think I'm gonna find where they buried the fiber pipe to the airbase and hack into that.

that sucks, I usually back up my steam app folders like I do with my physical game ISO's. Then pop them into to place and run steam to update them if they need to be then play em

Look at Dragon Age: Origins. There are technically four different versions. Standard Edition (Physical), Standard Edition (Digital), Collector's Edition (Physical), Digital Deluxe Edition (essentially a Collector's Edition, but since you can't get the tin and cloth map, you get the first DLC included).

And as for cost savings, it's all up to the developers. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Often on Steam, there are pre-order deals with a percentage off.

Okay you win. I am just a DD hater and loathe the process. You have broken me!!

Brutal. As was Windows 95 on a stack of Floppies ... absolutely awful way of installing the OS, but far cheaper than a CD-ROM drive at the time!

Yup, I remember installing from a box of them, had to be atleast 30 floppies... fun times.

My biggest is oblivion at 8.6gb

• 11 months later...

Just adding to the list of DD haters. I will never buy DD games unless that is the only means of getting them. If i buy a game i want permanent ownership over it, Steam goes down, you lose all those games you only download when you want to play. If it was a 90% markdown and i really wanted the game i might consider it, but i would still try to make or get a physical copy. Hard drives fail, companies go under but if you look after them disks last.

My $00.02

Just adding to the list of DD haters. I will never buy DD games unless that is the only means of getting them. If i buy a game i want permanent ownership over it, Steam goes down, you lose all those games you only download when you want to play. If it was a 90% markdown and i really wanted the game i might consider it, but i would still try to make or get a physical copy. Hard drives fail, companies go under but if you look after them disks last.

My $00.02

Valve has stated that if, god forbid, they go under, they will "unlock" all the games and allow users to download them for permanent play.