Who Has Successfully Operated Win 7 From USB?

feetfats

Why not try this with Windows 8 then?? It should have far better USB 3.0 support

Maybe I will at some point. I seem to be making some progress now. I have the OS running and applying the windows updates.

Yeah, well there'd be an con to my suggestion too. On computers that are older and less compatible with Win8 in general, but I think overall Win8 would be the better choice here

Why not try this with Windows 8 then?? It should have far better USB 3.0 support

Maybe I will at some point. I seem to be making some progress now. I have the OS running and applying the windows updates.

Yeah, well there'd be an con to my suggestion too. On computers that are older and less compatible with Win8 in general, but I think overall Win8 would be the better choice here

I will certainly keep this in mind.  

I've nearly pissed away the whole weekend on this but here is where I am at,

-Win 7 installed .

-Booting and operating from USB 3.0 , required 3.0 driver installation and changes in the registry.

-Have chipset drivers etc. installed.

-Currently installing windows updates (why the heck is this always such a big job?)

I have started making images with acronis as I go because every time I screw up I've had to start from scratch.  The last disaster was when I was trying to setup the usb for page file using diskmod_0.0.2.2  After installing it I would not be able to boot afterwards, and the necessary registry changes are getting beyond the scope of my knowledge.  I think I am just going to settle with paging on the internal drive of the computer, or turn it off all together?

No wonder not many people have done this what a pain in the ass.

Edited by feetfats

-Win 7 installed .

-Booting and operating from USB 3.0 , required 3.0 driver installation and changes in the registry.

-Currently installing windows updates (why the heck is this always such a big job?)

I have started making images with acronis as I go because every time I screw up I've had to start from scratch.  The last disaster was when I was trying to setup the usb for page file using diskmod_0.0.2.2  After installing it I would not be able to boot afterwards, and the necessary registry changes are getting beyond the scope of my knowledge.  I think I am just going to settle with paging on the internal drive of the computer, or turn it off all together?

Next challenge:

Try it on another computer :P

-Win 7 installed .

Next challenge:

Try it on another computer :P

I did actually perform a swap between two different laptops, but that was before any drivers were installed and was probably just lucky.