Camelot Unchained

Heeron

Camelot Unchained is an (hopefully) upcoming MMORPG with focus on trirealm RvR combat that aims to take risks and move away from the cookie cutter mass appeal approach that plague other modern MMOs. It's currently in development by City State Entertainment, lead by former Mythic entertainment founder Mark Jakobs.

The game is getting ready for a kickstarter campaign coming up in March, 2013.

Some of the very best moments in gaming for me have been playing RvR and this is the first game I'm genuinely excited by in years  :) 

Check out their blog where they post about the foundation principles if you want to know more.

I will try to keep this post up-to-date as more information gets out.

Indeed. While Warhammer Online was a pretty messed up game when it came to interacting with the environment, bugs and texture glitches (the list goes on) I still found the PVP amazingly satisfying.

When I played I was always thinking about all the PVE area of the map that wasn't  being used. All the time and resources that went in to dungeons and quest that almost no  one completed. If they had taken those resources and focused on improving gameplay and ORvR it would still be popular. 

One of the big hurdles that CU will face is going to be how to handle the zerging, it's  going to be interesting to see how they deal with it. 

Mark Jacobs wrote another 2 blog post today! The first post is titled "I Still Hate Gold Sellers", seems like Mark will continue his tradition of wildly flailing his banhammer when it comes to goldsellers. In the second post he straightens out some questionmarks regarding the leveling system. 

I feel like the was more to be said about the leveling system but I'm sure more information will be posted as we get closer to the start of the Kickstarter campaign in March. 

Time for another FP, this time titled "Forced Socialization was good, then bad. Is it time for a comeback?"

I really liked this one. Mark further explains the role that crafters and non crafters will have in creating a balanced experience. But instead of me clumsily trying to summarize it, read it yourselves on the blog

Big news everybody! (insert professor.jpg here)
Camelot Unchained just announced that they have got Curious Factory to publish the game.

This.. has me pretty confused since a common theme throughout Mark Jacobs posts on the Blog has been that publishers would be something that would be a obstacle when creating a game with so many "off putting" qualities that Camelot Unchained will have. Such as not appealing to a wide userbase and other risks they will take with the direction of this game that may drive a lot of potential users away. The notion of adding a publisher that will bring their own opinions and ideas (usually about how to profit more, let's be honest) to the table seems.. Counterproductive. 

In fact I will quote Mark Jacobs blog posts regarding publisher involvement in the game.

From "You need to build the foundation before you build the penthouse!" regarding the planning of Camelot Unchained and their FPs:

"While a lot of the details still need to be worked out of course and while some things can and will usually change during development, these principles must not, cannot and will not be changed by anyone at CSE, including myself. This is my promise to you and that is one of the reasons we haven

Edited by Heeron