Top 10 Lan Games?

Guest Redemption_merged

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrong forum to aks what will work on a lower end system. That is about the level of a old Xbox you could always go that rout they should be cheap. There should be some insanly cheap computers soon to with the new Intel AMD competition. 3500 for 100 USD?! Left over video cards are smoken fast too might offer to help them out.

At least you have frends that play on computers mine use the email and that is about it.

Guest oRiOn

Top 10 Lan Games

1.Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne - very fun RTS with many different custom games

2.BF2 - very fun with only 10 friends

3.CSS - Great to play with anyone anywhere

4.Prey - super fast gameplay and the way the maps are made just make the game unbelievably fun with friends

5.Quake 4 - Like Prey, fast and fun

6.COD2 - Very fun Fps, though needs a little more people 4v4 to be really fun

7.AOE 3 - also a fun RTS with 4 people

8.Mechwarrior - enough said

9.Unreal Tourny 1 - enough said there

10.Garrys Mod for Source Engine - it rocks on lan, stay up all night building huge planes and robots

-Will

Another vote for Quake 2. 9 year old game still loads of fun to play. Fast paced and lots of trick jumps etc. you can learn to do. Doesn't take much of a system at all to run. Need to have some sort of 3D Acceleration though, equal to GeForce1+ I'd say.

Guest Redemption
et, css, fear, cod2

Sorry what does ET stand for? I keep seeing it pop up.

Guest Redemption
Top 10 Lan Games

1.Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne - very fun RTS with many different custom games

2.BF2 - very fun with only 10 friends

3.CSS - Great to play with anyone anywhere

4.Prey - super fast gameplay and the way the maps are made just make the game unbelievably fun with friends

5.Quake 4 - Like Prey, fast and fun

6.COD2 - Very fun Fps, though needs a little more people 4v4 to be really fun

7.AOE 3 - also a fun RTS with 4 people

8.Mechwarrior - enough said

9.Unreal Tourny 1 - enough said there

10.Garrys Mod for Source Engine - it rocks on lan, stay up all night building huge planes and robots

-Will

sorry same thing here: what is AOE?

Are most of these guys posting even READING the opening post? The games suggested must not require a high-end machine to play!

I've played a few LANs in the past with some of the folks only having minimal processing power in their machines. We'd play old school HL1 mods such as Counterstrike (of course), Team Fortress Classic, Firearms, Sven Co-op, and also Natural Selection would be a great HL1 mod for LANs.

You play starcraft too so obviously RTS games aren't out of the question. My personal favourite, for single-player and multi-player alike, is Total Annihilation. It was released way back in '96 or '97, has very minimal system requirements to play, and is still considered by many (including me) the best RTS game ever made. Its not the prettiest RTS to date, but it was one of the first 3D RTS games (although the 'camera' is not adjustible, it is locked in on a top-down view). It certainly doesn't look bad, even by today's standards.

My best friend and I have been playing it quite frequently with each other over the internet (you have to use the built-in 'TCP/IP DirectPlay' funtion and connect to the host's IP directly). It has two official expansion packs, Core Contingency which adds extra units and maps, and Battle Tactics which is mainly a single-player expansion, adding new missions.

The best addition to this game is the user-created TAUCP (Total Annihilation Unit Compilation Pack), it adds over 230 third-party units, options for much more advanced AI opponents, and more whilst still maintaining a great balance in gameplay. With TAUCP added this game can bring even my system to its knees (Opteron 146 @ 2.87GHz), I even installed a 5000 unit limit patch (default unit limit is 200, or 250 with Core Contingency installed). TAUCP can be found here:

http://www.planetannihilation.com/TAUCP/

This game is so much fun when playing with friends against TAUCP's Banzai AI, or even just against each other as a deathmatch. Try it out, see for yourself.

Oh, one last thing. This game was developed by Cavedog Studios by Chris Taylor and his team. A sequel is in the making (finally) by Chris Taylor and his team, but cannot use the name Total Annihilation (long story), but instead will be called Supreme Commander. More info here:

www.supremecommander.com