Creating "unlimited" storage?

NCC10281982B

Back story:

I have been living out of an 80 gig drive on this rig for about a year now. Yeah, you get the idea.

Thus for my new build I want to setup an expandable storage solution. Games are not getting any smaller, after all. I am unsure how to go about accomplishing this. I glanced through our RAID guide and am fairly certain that RAID is not my solution. I am familiar with spanned volumes within windows disk management. Mobo disk controllers are another matter, however. So, i am appealing to the OCC brain trust to help me out. In my new build I want to run the OS on an SSD (speed) but have the ability for games, programs, and such to spill over onto a 3TB secondary drive and have the ability to expand from there if the need arises.

The bottom line;

If I want to install crysis 4 I do not want to have to uninstall Crysis 1,2, & 3 to make room.

you can do it injijagwalaafq ! ...i have this:

it's not as big for me as you're proposing but you can totally adjust according to your needs,...

sysdrives.jpg

C: is two 128g raided ssd's for windows and misc, D: and E: 600g velociraptors, D: being games, programs, and downloads, and e: local storage'...

It looks you have everything as separate drives, correct?

yup 'cept for the dual 128's raid0 C: drive...

i've gotten very fussy about what i let onto my C: ...i don't want it clutterd with caca right ...

my friend andrew is a network admin and service tech and has 16 terabytes in his home/work rig...you can go super big if you want to 

It looks you have everything as separate drives, correct?

Are you saying you want it to appear as one drive? why?

As for the solution, just buy a ssd and a 3tb and add hard drives as per needs?

Get a big 3 TB 7200 RPM drive and set up Intel Smart Response.  Best of both worlds with none of the hassle.

:withstupid:

That is the really easy, cheap, and expandable option.  You just need a small ssd (which are cheaper) and a good HDD (WD Black or the like).  The benefits are; the cheaper hardware, if the ssd fails you don't loose anything, simple setup and recovery, easily expandable too.

Or if you get a bigger ssd (128gb+), it is easy enough to set the OS onto the ssd and move users files and program files over to the HDD and it is a little faster than ISR.

Get a big 3 TB 7200 RPM drive and set up Intel Smart Response.  Best of both worlds with none of the hassle.

:withstupid:

That is the really easy, cheap, and expandable option.  You just need a small ssd (which are cheaper) and a good HDD (WD Black or the like).  The benefits are; the cheaper hardware, if the ssd fails you don't loose anything, simple setup and recovery, easily expandable too.

Or if you get a bigger ssd (128gb+), it is easy enough to set the OS onto the ssd and move users files and program files over to the HDD and it is a little faster than ISR.

don't ya need an 1155 for that intel smart response ?....i don't think a q6600 isn't gonna cut it...

He mentioned a "new build" that's what I get for assuming he'd go with an intel.   :doh:

Well this is still a valid option and is pretty easy to set up on a clean install.  That's what I did.

Edited by RedFury77