Can't copy files to MicroSD card

Miek

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They have a history of 'not playing nice'.

But NTFS is the default file system for Win-7 and not supporting it is weird at best.

Android/Linux support for NTFS is spotty at best. Read support might be there but last time I messed with it (and it was a while ago) doing any kind of writes to NTFS through Linux/Android risked clobbering the file system on the drive.

• 5 months later...

I have been having this same issue. I bought 3 64gb memory cards and they are just generic ones. No name on it. I am trying to transfer the contents of my 32gb micro SD cards to the 64gb cards and originally they were formatted to the default exFat (I think). Then when I tried copying my music files over some of the files it would not let me read. I would click on the folder of the band or artist I wanted to look at and it said there was a read error and could not read the file and the file was corrupt. So I reformatted the card and re added the same file but i just added that file and nothing else.I was able to read it just fine but when i went to add other files the same issue would come up. So then I found out that android has issues reading exFat and to format to NTSF. So I did that and still had the same issues copying over my music.

With the 32gb micro SD cards I never had any issues whatsoever copying music files to them. They worked as smoothly as copying files to a hard drive. I would think that would be the same case with a 64gb micro SD card. Your just increasing the size of the micro SD card, not doing anything else to it. So after searching around about why I can't copy some of my music files to it, I came across this forum and post. I currently tried the formatting to Fat32 and that worked ok. I am currently trying to add the music files again and will see what happens. I hope this works cause I really need the 64gb for my music as i'm running out of space on the 32gb cards and don't want to split my music on two 32gb cards. The way I am doing my music is splitting them up according to genre. So basically all my metal music goes on one 32gb card, all my hard rock & punk & grunge goes on one 32gb card, all my country music goes on one 32gb card, all my jazz, swing & rockabilly goes on one 32gb card, all my classic rock goes on one 32 gb card and so on. I really don't want to split say my metal music on two 32gb cards because of the fact that I play the cards through my Samsung Galaxy S4 phone and when I want to listen to certain music, it is a pain in the ass if I have to switch cards especially if I am driving or don't really have the ability at that point in time to be able to switch out cards. 

If anyone can tell me more about this issue and how to solve the problem I would be much appreciated. Its just very frustrating that companies make 64gb cards but don't run them exactly as the 32gb and lower cards. Its rather ridiculous. Hopefully the formatting to Fat32 will solve my problems.

No brand? Did you buy em from somewhere reputable? Might be fakes.

I bought them from Amazon. I would think they would be good and not fakes. I really didn't wanna spend $40-$60 or more for 64gb micro SD cards which is what San Disk and PNY charge. Kinda ridiculous to pay that much. I am gonna use the h2testw on them and see what happens.

UPDATE: So I formatted the card to Fat32 and I am still having issues. Now when I copy my music files over, it takes longer and many of the music files, the main band or artist folder will be readable and you can click on it but once you go into the folder it tells me that the folder is empty. Even while it is still loading music to that folder. For example, I can be copying over Black Sabbath. I'll go into the folder and it will tell me folder is empty, then it will start copying, say '13' their new album and that will pop up. Now if I go out of the folder and then back in, it will again say the folder is empty and will not show any of the files I have copied over. This is really frustrating and I'm about to just give up and send the cards back for a refund because I see no solution to the problem other than that. 

Edited by SlackerMcFly

My SanDisk 64 GB card was $30 or so from Amazon...

That for me is too expensive as I need at least 3 of them, so thats $90. I really don't have the money to spend $90 on 3 memory cards. It's a bit ridiculous that they have to cost so much. You're not really getting much for them to cost that much. I would say $15 for a 64gb, $10 for a 32gb, and $7 for a 16gb card is what they should cost. But who am I to say. Big corporations want to rip us off all the time because everyone is so greedy and money hungry.

UPDATE: I used the h2testw on my cards and it told me that it could only write to a portion of the card and not the entire card so it said because of that the media was probably defective. It also came across errors while writing to it. So I have decided to just return the cards and get my money back and look for other 64gb Micro SD memory cards. I just don't want to pay even $30 for one. But as I am finding out that if I don't pay that, more than likely I will get shitty aftermarket ones that don't work properly. But I am also finding out that even those who have Sandisk or PNY cards have issues with the 64gb Micro SD ones. So I am not sure what I am going to do at this point. 

Thank you guys for all the replies and whatnot. It's been helpful. 

Edited by SlackerMcFly

Any way you slice it up you're probably going to end up spending $30 or more for a high quality brand name 64Gb microSD card.

For my money I usually stick with; Samsung, Patriot, SanDisk or GSkill.  Maybe you're going to have to space out your purchases.  It will take longer to buy the three cards you want, but at least you'll have great cards that are reliable and long lasting.

Enjoy my experiences with counterfeit cards: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1116449

So I checked out that post and I replied to it. I didn't know the 32gb cards had issues as well. Makes me think that if I spent the money and got brand name 64gb micro sd cards like Sandisk or PNY then they would work just as all my 32gb and 16gb cards do and I wouldn't be running into any issues and wasting my time and money.