What processor for your next PC?

neddamttocs

40 members have voted

1. 1. Intel or AMD

• Intel
    • AMD

Hello this week on OCC poll we want to know: If you are going to build a new PC what processor would you base it around? Intel or AMD?

Let us know on OCC Poll!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went with intel.... its the only cpu I've ever bought.     Work was getting rid of a k6 last year so I took it home and played with it for a few weeks, that was my brief time of playing with amd.

i kinda locked myself into the fm2 platform for awhile, for at least until it plays itself out...and i'm just curious,...i'd like to find out how the amd heterogeneous architecture changes the game, since it seems like it's gonna be in play on several levels in the near future...

probably an amd for a change, but i hope there will be another architecture upgrade from amd when i am going to upgrade to my mini pc next year (june)

i want some extra cores in my system for the next-gen games, i am pretty sure the multi tasking of games will improves quite fast in upcoming years and i don't see intel releasing an affordable 6+ core anytime soon.

Edited by WarWeeny

The more I push and play with the APU the more impressed I become. When you spend less time in benchmarks and more actually using the PC the APU really shines for the value it brings.

Why use an APU at all if you have a discrete card?

The most obvious will be a system that is built up. APUs are awesome for someone wanting a good budget gaming rig and then you can upgrade to a larger card as your gaming habit grows. Also, and this is more forward thinking, down the road we are hoping to see more use of OpenCL and DirectCompute. As this grows the APU can provide the GPU compute power without taking any cycles from the discrete card.

Finally if you want to go SFF with AMD the FM2 platform is the only choice worth making as none of the partners have made a decent mATX or mITX board for the AM3+ platform.

Why use an APU at all if you have a discrete card?

The most obvious will be a system that is built up. APUs are awesome for someone wanting a good budget gaming rig and then you can upgrade to a larger card as your gaming habit grows. Also, and this is more forward thinking, down the road we are hoping to see more use of OpenCL and DirectCompute. As this grows the APU can provide the GPU compute power without taking any cycles from the discrete card.

Finally if you want to go SFF with AMD the FM2 platform is the only choice worth making as none of the partners have made a decent mATX or mITX board for the AM3+ platform.

For SFF the APU has its advantages on the GPU side but with the strength of the Intel socket 1150 options using Lucid Logix you have a real competitor for the APU on the CPU side especially and even more so wihen using hybrid graphics. No that Im a fan boy but its a pretty convincing argument.

I picked Intel because my next build is likely to be a mini ITX build and i personally think Intel has better options in that area. But if it wasn't got the mini ITX id be just as likely to pick up an AMD as a Intel, I'm big into best price for the performance required. More often than not AMD's performance is good enough for anything, certainly Intel is better, but its not always needed.