need new FPS..........single player

nice_shoes

But why limit yourself to FPS shooters only? There are some brilliant 3rd person shooters out there that can take weeks to play (GTA Series) & they tend to be good value for money.
I played Tomb Raider Gold many years ago, I think that was a 3rd person shooter................can you give some specific titles and recommendations?

I agree with the others with L4D/L4D2 not being a great single player game. But, it is one heck of a CoOp!

Grand Theft Auto IV is an amazing game, but it was ahead of its time from a hardware aspect. Meaning, the 320MB 8800GTS would prob struggle.

Portal and Portal 2, not your typical FPS but still incredible games :P

How about Crysis and/or Crysis 2? Compaigns are only 8-10 hours for each game. But replay ability is high because you can play through once with stealth and assassinations. Then play again as i don't give a crap and run and gun like a boss.

Battlefield Bad Company, and Bad Company 2. Both great games with hilarious and good stories. Many a good single player hours.

How about Crysis and/or Crysis 2? Compaigns are only 8-10 hours for each game. But replay ability is high because you can play through once with stealth and assassinations. Then play again as i don't give a crap and run and gun like a boss.

Not sure how well his 320MB 8800GTS will do with the Crysis titles ;)

Not sure how well his 320MB 8800GTS will do with the Crysis titles ;)

It definitely wont play Metro 2033, i already brought that up, Metro 2033 even at low resolutions just needs more memory than that.

But the 8800 should play Crysis 1 with little issue... I would say that it can't do Crysis 2 though.

It definitely wont play Metro 2033, i already brought that up, Metro 2033 even at low resolutions just needs more memory than that.

But the 8800 should play Crysis 1 with little issue... I would say that it can't do Crysis 2 though.

The res would need to be fairly low for the 8800 running Crysis 1 w/o issues I think. It has been awhile, but I rem my 1GB 4870 OCed struggling at 1680 x 1050 in quite a few scenes

nice_shoes what res do you normally game at?

Duke Nukem 3D

Quake 1 2 & 4 (3 is just a mutliplayer game kinda like Unreal Tournament)

Unreal

Soldier of Fortune 1 & 2 good gameplay and good story

Fallout Series

Just Cause 1 & 2 GTA Clone

Mafia 1 & 2 GTA Clone

Max Payne 1 & 2

Prey

Serious Sam series if you like the kind of shooter where you just kill hordes and hordes of monsters

Skyrim not really a shooter but its an amazing game and it has a huge modding community

As others have mentioned

Boarderlands

Duke Nukem forever I personally enjoyed this game a lot even though 3D Realms wasted so much time doing nothing.

My 8800GTS 512 system played Crysis at 1680x1050 at decent framerates on high settings. So with the res turned down he could easily run the game on medium.

Edited by slick2500

his GPU meets the minimum requirements for Metro 2033. Would try the demo first though to make sure.

Crysis 1 would be a great one to try as well.

Played any of the STALKER series?

Come on guys show some love for the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Series. Especially when you add the complete mod to all of them, the game dynamics are brilliant and once the complete mod is in place they get better not to mention they all look phenomenal. Of every single game I have splayed S.T.A.L.K.E.R. COP has had the most amazing weather especially the storms with the atmosfear mod.

Also one of my favorites is Hidden & Dangerous 2. Never known anyone who've tried this game. But it's really good. Rather simple WW 2 game. You can play as a single character or as a 4 man platoon. I've played through it 3 times and I still love it. Graphics are so and so, but gameplay is great.