GTX 970 vs something older (or maybe AMD)

Try those 4 silver screws in the center, that should be all you need to unscrew, then carefully pull apart until you can unhook the fan power cable.

I tried them, but it was still really on there. Maybe just the thermal paste stuck on there good?

Edit: Yup. thermal paste. Got it off.

Edited by d3athsd00r

Another secret is to install the card in a rig.  Power it up and run a couple of benchmarks to heat up the core.  Power down and then quickly pull the card and remove the heatsink assembly.  The heated thermal paste is usually easier to pull apart than if the card has sat cold.

Another secret is to install the card in a rig.  Power it up and run a couple of benchmarks to heat up the core.  Power down and then quickly pull the card and remove the heatsink assembly.  The heated thermal paste is usually easier to pull apart than if the card has sat cold.

Or if you're a real gangster, heat gun it at the core for maybe 10-15 seconds :D

• Like 1

Or if you're a real gangster, heat gun it at the core for maybe 10-15 seconds :D

Def not a gangster. And don't have a heat gun. But I will keep the other heat trick in mind next time..

Anyway, I'm thinking about posting my old GTX 460 on here for sale, just FYI. Never sold, but I did buy once.

Def not a gangster. And don't have a heat gun. But I will keep the other heat trick in mind next time..

Anyway, I'm thinking about posting my old GTX 460 on here for sale, just FYI. Never sold, but I did buy once.

Still could be a "MacGangster" and use a hair dryer for maybe 30-40 seconds for the same effect :)