Finally the 3870 X2 is reviewed

Bosco

AMD launches Phenom and Spider with boards and video cards together this is all part of a package to promote their new platform, so why did just about everyone else do it on an Intel?. Sorry, but doesn't it seem like the most logical thing to do Run it the way it is suppose to be.

Supposed to be? According to who? AMD recommends you use AMD products with other AMD products. Surely you can see through this to the pure marketing at the core...

I thought the point of reviews was to challenge marketing like this and get to the facts instead of accepting it at face value and parroting it on to your readers.

Two years ago if I ran it on an Intel you would be asking why not AMD.

Actually, this statement backs RR's Q6600 argument. Two years ago AMD was king, so people benched video cards on AMD cpus to cut bottlenecking to an absolute minimum (and in turn, show the true colors of the card). But AMD is not the king anymore, which is why most people bench video cards on Intel, because you get the least bottlenecking there.

I know the QX9650 (or whatever that new $1000 one is) is expensive, but honestly I'd rather see a video card match-up on that chip than any other, because that's where the video cards truly compete with each other, and not bottlenecks. So what if a card will bottleneck on my system when it didn't on the one in the review? I'd still like to know which card is best.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Supposed to be? According to who? AMD recommends you use AMD products with other AMD products. Surely you can see through this to the pure marketing at the core...

I thought the point of reviews was to challenge marketing like this and get to the facts instead of accepting it at face value and parroting it on to your readers.

Very good point Ryan :)

Get the facts read between the lines. :) Companies all say there stuff runs better together, what did we do we tested it on their platform and you can see the numbers now we will switch to the intel and see what happens.

At the sametime you do not see video cards being tested on Phenom platforms at all which is why I made the call to do it! What about all those people that have those CPU's already? Like Paul said he is going to run it on the Quad 6600 and you will see the difference on both platforms. :)

Like Paul said if we had more time there would have been a good chance we could have included it all but frankly there was just not enough time to do it as much as we would have liked. :(

Guest Raven65

OCC has always taken an approach to be unique. You can read 10 other reviews that were done on an Intel. I know many of you already have. Can you honestly tell me you only read OCC reviews? If the answer is No, then why is anyone qustioning why? We stated that we eventually will have benchmarks with an Intel system. Personally I'd rather be unique than follow in everyone elses footsteps. Besides people still purchase AMD.

The bad thing here is time. :(

The card is supposed to be best of their lineup with that factored in we need to include top cards from Nvidia.

When you throw all that into the mix there is alot of time needed to test all of the cards and we just didn't have it no matter how bad we wanted to do it :( Its very frustrating for us because we cannot make everyone happy, but knowing what other sites were going to do and when Paul asked me I made the call "Do it on the Phenom". I think with doing that shakes things up a little :)

The bad thing here is time. :(

The card is supposed to be best of their lineup with that factored in we need to include top cards from Nvidia.

When you throw all that into the mix there is alot of time needed to test all of the cards and we just didn't have it no matter how bad we wanted to do it :( Its very frustrating for us because we cannot make everyone happy, but knowing what other sites were going to do and when Paul asked me I made the call "Do it on the Phenom". I think with doing that shakes things up a little :)

I understand you will never make everyone happy even if you did every combo that is available someone will still cry and moan. I can look at other sites just as well as the next guy. I just wanted to see scores from the same reviewer, I think it would be more accurate than comparing one forum to another. Anyway I will be looking forward to seeing some future scores for comparison....

Guest Raven65

What also needs to be remembered is that we are all volunteers here also, no one does this full time. If anyone would like to pay me a salary to sit home and test product all day on every system imaginable, I'm accepting donations. :thumbs-up:

What also needs to be remembered is that we are all volunteers here also, no one does this full time. If anyone would like to pay me a salary to sit home and test product all day on every system imaginable, I'm accepting donations. :thumbs-up:

Hey hey, if you dont like the toys, ill send you my address :P

If they get some drivers that will work for crossfire these will rock, I may have to get two of them later on....

That is what I was thinking. With newer, more tweaked drivers and some motherboard support that would be some impressive hi res rendering ability - or one insane folding rig, which I believe may have been closer to your line of thought :)