Steam Daily Deals

Avinexis

So far games I'm not looking at buying but I like the idea!

Same here, actually I don't think these daily sales are going to be all that great, I think the highest sales we might see of these is 70%. Which is good for me because I'm too cheap for such sales since I know they will have a ton of even cheaper sales for holidays, and the summer sale, if they do it this year, will be coming soon.

More than likely, the daily deals will simply be repeats from previous sales. I highly doubt we're going to get some mega first time deal, but it's good for those that may have been on the fence previously and have some dollars to burn.

They should setup an email update system or an RSS feed.

facebook kinda falls into that category but i agree an rss would be great. i check facebook pretty regularly on my phone at work out of sheer boredom so i'm pretty well covered :thumbsup:

Steam does have an RSS feed at the bottom of the store homepage, I don't know if that works for what you're wanting or not though as it says news feed. It's worth giving a try though, I'd see for myself but I don't use RSS.

I'm guessing the best it will do is allow you to select a particular section of the news maybe? The Announcements section seems to tell you about game sales. Speaking of which, there is going to be a sale for Plain Sight, 50% off, pretty good deal. :D

facebook kinda falls into that category but i agree an rss would be great. i check facebook pretty regularly on my phone at work out of sheer boredom so i'm pretty well covered :thumbsup:

Yeah, I don't do facebook and have my DNS service setup to block it and twitter.

Steam does have an RSS feed at the bottom of the store homepage, I don't know if that works for what you're wanting or not though as it says news feed. It's worth giving a try though, I'd see for myself but I don't use RSS.

I'm guessing the best it will do is allow you to select a particular section of the news maybe? The Announcements section seems to tell you about game sales. Speaking of which, there is going to be a sale for Plain Sight, 50% off, pretty good deal. :D

Sadly, the RSS feed is not limited to the announcement settings, so it gives more than I would want. Ah well, guess I just need to keep an eye out.

Yeah, I don't do facebook and have my DNS service setup to block it and twitter.

Sadly, the RSS feed is not limited to the announcement settings, so it gives more than I would want. Ah well, guess I just need to keep an eye out.

With the number of contests on FB, especially for computer/gaming companies, I don't know why you'd want to block access.

With the number of contests on FB, especially for computer/gaming companies, I don't know why you'd want to block access.

I block it because it will actually keep out a lot of annoying advertisements. I choose not to have a Facebook account because there are some people I do not want to hear from, and those that I do I have their email address or phone number, for more private and in depth conversations. Plus, I don't like the idea of intentionally putting my information out on a system well known for poor security. Besides, I don't need to get an update from Deathmineral that he just got to Best Buy and someone in a blue shirt wanted to know if he needed any help with purchasing a computer.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know you can set up your account so no one can find you (until they change the privacy settings for everyone) but still, why would I want another thing to keep track of like that? Also, it'll be a lot harder to make fun of my mom spending hours on Facebook instead of doing homework or coming to dinner or the like if I had my own account.

I'm a somewhat private person and I don't think anyone will complain about not getting updates from me about every little detail of my life.

As far as contests go, if they're willing to lose the possible business of those not on Facebook, let them.

Edited by Guest_Jim_*

I block it because it will actually keep out a lot of annoying advertisements. I choose not to have a Facebook account because there are some people I do not want to hear from, and those that I do I have their email address or phone number, for more private and in depth conversations. Plus, I don't like the idea of intentionally putting my information out on a system well known for poor security. Besides, I don't need to get an update from Deathmineral that he just got to Best Buy and someone in a blue shirt wanted to know if he needed any help with purchasing a computer.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know you can set up your account so no one can find you (until they change the privacy settings for everyone) but still, why would I want another thing to keep track of like that? Also, it'll be a lot harder to make fun of my mom spending hours on Facebook instead of doing homework or coming to dinner or the like if I had my own account.

I'm a somewhat private person and I don't think anyone will complain about not getting updates from me about every little detail of my life.

As far as contests go, if they're willing to lose the possible business of those not on Facebook, let them.

Actually I don't post on Facebook, I just use it for contests, so I'm a bad example. :P

Also, I don't think any company worries about losing business to anyone that doesn't use facebook because almost everyone does really, and that especially includes gaining the business of people that aren't too tech savvy since facebook contests are a bit easier to find and enter than traditional contests.

Today's deal is Sniper: Ghost Warrior for $5. Not a highly reviewed game. I find it kind of funny though, since I just got Dead Space in EA week for $5.

Actually I don't post on Facebook, I just use it for contests, so I'm a bad example. :P

Also, I don't think any company worries about losing business to anyone that doesn't use facebook because almost everyone does really, and that especially includes gaining the business of people that aren't too tech savvy since facebook contests are a bit easier to find and enter than traditional contests.

Figures I'd pick someone that only uses Facebook for contests.

The contests exist as advertising, so if a company is willing to isolate that advertising to one group, even if it is a sizable group, that's their choice, just as it is mine to not be on Facebook. Trust me though, if I were on Facebook, there would be a bit more grief in my life, so if I can avoid it, I will. (Don't ask.)

Let me ask you this, how does Facebook make money? What do they sell to turn a profit? Information. What information are they selling? Yours. Not so sure I like that... of course I currently have a Google Android phone on my hip, so I'm not completely free of having information about me being mined, but I've heard of far fewer incidents of Google giving up user information due to a software glitch or confusing privacy settings or by changing everyone's privacy settings without telling you.

I think that's enough of a rant now, don't you agree?

You do realize you control exactly what information you put on there, not even counting whether you make certain things private or public, right?

You can, in theory, create an account with just your name (hell, you can use your first and middle name instead of first and last - people do that all the time), block your account from being searched by anyone (so your RL friends don't even have to know you have an account), and not fill in any other info. Then, when you see a contest, you simply "like" that company's FB page and follow the directions. Easy peasy.

And who knows, you may even start to find that the discussions on those company postings are worth participating in, especially for companies that join in the discussions - it's always nice getting direct feedback. The PC Gamer staff, for example, often comments on discussions on their postings (and btw, I also won Crysis 2 thru a FB contest of theirs).