NZXT Sentry Mesh Fan Controller Review

bp9801

Lovely... sleek and matches my CM690 :) solution for not having enough fan channels = buy another :)

When I see these in europe I will buy one as I have three Zalman Fan Mates and they are messy... great review ;)

Edited by Dan The Gamer

I just read the review and wanted to mention something I thought was a little off, no offense just an observation.

You said the controller can only run 5 fans but it can run 15, let me explain-

Watts = Amps x Volts

I'll use a fan as an example I have here, Scythe Ultra Kaze Model DFS123812H-3000 (120mmX38 3000rpm 161cfm~)

We know they run off of a 12v rail and this particular fan uses 0.60A so 12v x 0.60A= 7.2W of power per fan @ full power so 7.2W X 3=21.6w per channel on the safe side for argument sake, theoretically you could run 4 fans of this size per channel for a total of 28.8W per channel.

So on the safe side we can say 15 fans in total could be run or theoretically 20, obviously you would run them in series of groups and control different zones in your chassis.

At any rate the reason I wanted to start the thread is because I'm interested in this controller for my sons build, but wanted to know if there was any voltage leaking from any of the channels on the controller when in the lowest position.

Edited by smduff

I guess technically its possible.

I try and avoid that, I remember years ago a couple of us tried doing that and almost burned the house down with the same thinking you are using. :lol:

But as you said, it looks like it might be ok, you would just have to be careful and watch for any sort of melting etc etc. I think I would be more worried at full power then at idle.

smduff

Although it is possible to wire multiple fans in series to one controller so long as the amperage and voltage ratings of the fans allow. It's just like a power supply, where multiple devices can have power supplied to them from a single rail. That's also why extension cables work.

Having said that, fan controllers have a function, and that is to control a number of fans. Because it's possible to quiet or increase the CFM of fans by a bit of stripping and splicing, controllers are generally, though hardly only, for people who don't want to do that or need something that looks a little nicer and offers a little more direct control. As such, fan controllers are generally sold based on the number of channels they feature, and the case of the Sentry Mesh, that's five, and so the Sentry Mesh 'only supports' five fans, that is, without making/purchasing the needed cable splitters, or otherwise modifying the device and only using what is provided for plug-n-play use.

Technically fan controllers could simply have one 150 Watt channel and just have a whole bunch of splits, like a power supply, but in the case of fan controllers that offers considerably less flexibility with regards to controlling individual fans.