Free Anti-Virus Comparison Reviewed

Bosco

I was curious why Comodo did not make the list, especially if Clam did. Especially since it's free packages now include Internet Security with a firewall and both free packages give Sandbox browser usage.

I used to use the Comodo AV on my laptop but then discovered it messed with some of its drivers. (Specifically drivers associated with its tablet functionality.) Still use the firewall though.

Jim did you check to see if the drivers where loading files that might be getting sandboxed? The default deny system is great once a system is installed but can be a pain when first setting up.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim did you check to see if the drivers where loading files that might be getting sandboxed? The default deny system is great once a system is installed but can be a pain when first setting up.

Had the sandboxing feature off at the time so that wouldn't have been the problem. Once I got rid of the AV the issues disappeared. The firewall and its features work fine with the drivers though.

I am kind of curious which drivers had issues...

If I remember correctly, it was, at least, the one associated with the Wacom pen input, but there may have been more. I also seem to remember an issue with the buttons on the screen, such as the rotation button. In case I was not clear before, this happened some time ago, so I don't remember it all perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...

My experiences with free anti-viruses are fairly extensive, and have spent a lot of time installing & running them just to see for myself.

MSE - Runs sticky, glitchy, doesn't catch much, weak hueristics, automatic update issues - if your automatic updates aren't on it can't update itself to the newest virus database, or it will turn it on without your permission, and may not even download the new virus database.

AVG - Installs OK, catches a fair amount, then slowly over time bogs down becoming a resource hog, clunky, viruses in quarintine seem to effect its running.

Avast - is the top free anti-virus i've tested, lots of control over which engines are running, a boot time scan for root kits is invalueable, and is a medium level resource user.

Immunet (clam) - It was so bad I uninstalled within hours.

Panda Cloud - If you value your PC stay away from this cloudy stuff.

Malwarebytes - Only runs real time if you pay for it, and it runs heavy. If you run it as an occasional check it one of the best PC health programs out there.

Additional Free Programs;

Spybot Search & Destroy - One of the deepest scans your PC will ever experience, use occasionally, or when you are in deep trouble. Can be installed running realtime, but runs heavy, due to its immunities function.

When I come across PC's with serious virus issues I run - Malwarebytes, Spybot Search & Destroy, TDSS Killer, Highjack This, and Combo Fix.

The lightest fastest most thorough Paid A/V i've ever used is ESET NOD32...hands down. You may not realize how much resources are being used by your A/V until you install ESET. Kapersky is top dog for catching all the ills, but uses more resources than ESET.

If you run any of the Free A/V's you must occasionally run Malwarebytes and/or Spybot!

• 3 months later...

There is no such thing as a good free anti-virus program.  They all suk. 

Most anti virus programs that are free, are actually, much worse for your,

computer, because they are loaded with spamy toolbars and intoxicate your

PC with all the additional system resources.

You have to pay for an antivirus program from Apple, then pay for one on your PC.

Get ESET NOD32 Antivirus 6.  

It is the best Antivirus program on the market today.  It uses only, a few resources,

works so splendidly, and ESET NOD32, even offers you an Antivirus program,

for your Android.  It also, allows you to block list of hazardous people from calling/texting.

$59.99 for Active 2 Year Agreement, is what I am paying for right now.

In those 2 years, I will be able, to upgrade ESET's virus software, as much as I'd like.

The 1 year breakdown, is only $29.99.

That's less then $30 a year, to keep your PC running so smoothly, that you might not ever,

have to reformat your HDD, every 4 months or so, again.

2013 is a lucky year for some.

You have to pay for an antivirus program from Apple, then pay for one on your PC.

It is the best Antivirus program on the market today.  It uses only, a few resources,

for your Android.  It also, allows you to block list of hazardous people from calling/texting.

In those 2 years, I will be able, to upgrade ESET's virus software, as much as I'd like.

That's less then $30 a year, to keep your PC running so smoothly, that you might not ever,

Do you work for them or something?

AVG is awesome. I've been using it for years on all my systems and whenever a friend/family member asks me to fix their computers, I always uninstall whatever crap AV software they have and install AVG.

Do you work for them or something?

Exactly what I was thinking...