ASUS GTX 660 DirectCU II TOP Reviewed

Bosco

Costing $250? :down: Specially when HD7870 can be found @260.

Although I find the performance to be very good.

Prices start at $230 for the 660. The $249 TOP version beats a higher priced GHz edition 7870 in 14 out of 20 tests or 70% of the games I tested. Lower cost higher perf on average, where is that a bad thing?

Bad thing? After the release of GTX660, I think, price of HD7870 will eventually down by 10-20 bucks. But when you are saying the price of GTX660 starts from 230, then I've to say it is good pricing.

Good review here.

I like the performance and the price. This card's release may drive some price adjustments on the AMD side of the house. This is good.

Running two of these GTX-660s in SLI would probably make for a great gaming experience, and they are within what I can afford over a short time.

Edited by RealNeil

• 1 month later...

Cons = still overpriced. Just got a deal on an ASUS GTX 660Ti DCII (non-TOP edition). Don't know why ASUS puts a TOP moniker when the non-TOP edition I have overclocks better. Still gets its tail whooped by an HD 7850.

Depends on your definition of stability when you test the overclocks. I can clock higher on every card I test. Its a matter of how high it will actually run through every single test every single time without a failure and is more indicative of where you will run each and every day with the specific card I test. As you know the abilities of the cores will vary from sample to sample. The TOP designation just means that the core is heavily binned and is guaranteed to run the clock speeds it comes with from the factory, in this case I believe it is still the highest factory clocked GTX 660. Any overclocking above that is a bonus. The vast majority of users do not even overclock their hardware so they buy the highest guaranteed clock speed they can afford at each price point to reach a level of performance that is acceptable for their uses. Sure seems every "good" clocking card comes your way but as an overclocking card the TOP does quite well.

Is the 7850 a better value at this point? All depends on what you want out of a video card as performance from game to game is dependent on how optimized the game or test is for each brand. In my tests its a toss up between the 7870 and the GTX 660 again depending on the game being tested. I run what I run and let the results speak for themselves. AMD's new optimized 12.11 drivers are going to drive performance higher as you have probably seen in many of the tests putting more value behind AMD with both price drops and increased performance. But the ball is in NVIDIA's court right now to optimize further. My question is what got sacrificed to drive improvements of up to 18% with the new AMD driver?

Cons = still overpriced. Just got a deal on an ASUS GTX 660Ti DCII (non-TOP edition). Don't know why ASUS puts a TOP moniker when the non-TOP edition I have overclocks better. Still gets its tail whooped by an HD 7850.

TOP cards from Asus rarely gets price cut compared to other models of other companies.