Club Windows 8

wevsspot

With the recent RTM of Windows 8, I thought it would be good to start a new thread for discussing Microsoft's latest operating system.

General Guidelines;

No flaming (i.e. Windows 8 sucks, why change from Windows 7 etc.) - this thread is intended for objective and constructive discussion & help

It's ok to tell us why you don't like Windows 8 if you're actually using the RTM

It's ok to us why you like Windows 8 if you're actually using the RTM

Pros & Cons are welcome

Please share with us what works and what doesn't (i.e. applications, games, browsers, mail clients etc.)

Some interesting topics I've already read elsewhere to jump start us;

Windows 8 basic doesn't come with WMP or DVD playback software :(

Methods to get the classic start menu back

What are the different versions of Windows 8 and whats the difference between OEM and upgrade

Has anyone purchased the download version and successfully made (and activated) an install DVD that doesn't require a previous Windows 7 install yet?

I've had a brief look around the web, but info is conflicting.

If so, please post your method!

:)

If you buy an upgrade copy, you need to have a previous Windows installation, however, if the install is anything like Windows 7 you can install by simply installing it a second time over your previous Windows 8 installation

you can install by simply installing it a second time over your previous Windows 8 installation

Not sure I understand what you mean.

What I'd like to find out is if, like with the digitally delivered Windows 7 upgrade, you can burn a DVD from an image. I know you could with the Windows 8 preview, but I was wondering if anyone had tried it (with results) with the RTM version.

Simply; I upgraded from Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Pro - this is technically an upgrade license, however I burnt a DVD and can install/activate it using only my Windows 7 upgrade key with no previous Vista installation.

Edited by suchuwato

What I'd like to find out is if, like with the digitally delivered Windows 7 upgrade, you can burn a DVD from an image. I know you could with the Windows 8 preview, but I was wondering if anyone had tried it (with results) with the RTM version.

Simply; I upgraded from Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Pro - this is technically an upgrade license, however I burnt a DVD and can install/activate it using only my Windows 7 upgrade key with no previous Vista installation.

Not quite sure I follow but all *.iso files can be burnt to a disk providing there is enough space

well i know said i wouldn't do it, but the opportunity to upgrade to win 8 pro 64 bit for $14.99 just got to me. i used the link wevspot posted in the upgrade thread, completed the buying, download, and installation and now have a new win 8 os on my gamer rig...i took a few picks of the installation in progress, which i will post in little bit. i should say right here that the $14.99 version does not come with the dvd/media center software so i had to purchase that separately for $9.99 after the initial installation had completed. i only did the one install, saved my settings, files, and applications and went ahead and activated the machine online...so far so good, but maan this is gonna take some serious getting used to...seems to be waay different from any of the previous microsoft OS's i've used...

.the full pic set can be found over here

so far so good, but maan this is gonna take some serious getting used to...seems to be waay different from any of the previous microsoft OS's i've used...

You can always get Start8 for $5 and never use Metro again. Below is what my desktop looks like using it. I've completely disabled all Metro features using it as well.

71253763.png

EDIT:

As a side note, if you notice in the start menu, there is a link to get back to the metro theme. I use this for changing the log in screen theme and a few other things.

EDIT 2:

Made the post less fanboy/advertisement sounding of Start8 :doh:

Edited by Nephilumos

yes you will have the option to make dvd media from an iso file, it is available, as well as building a usb flash drive setup (which is how i did it)

Very nice guys. This is exactly where I had hoped this thread would go. Things we've learned already;

A confirmation that the upgrade routine works without issue at the sale price of $14.99 (which is good through January of 2013 by the way).

Media Player isn't include in the Pro Upgrade package but can be purchased separately for $9.99 (CJ - does the new player include bluray playback?)

There is an option for getting the classic start menu back

A semi-confirmation that the old "install twice" trick works for activation