I never used to talk crap in games

DM I appreciate your position but as a gaming enthusiast I have to side with dragon here. You might not get it but that does not make his position or feelings on it any less valid. Personally I hate FPS gaming but even I see his point. This is a game about competition and the reward for playing well seems to be to screw you over, that sucks no matter what you are doing.

Dragon I appreciate your position and the sad truth is this kind of crap, screwing over players, is becoming more the norm in online gaming everyday. For example I was a huge fan of EVE. Got a few of my buddies together and we all started toons together formed a corp and found ourselves a nice quiet spot in what is called "empire" space to explore the game and do some mining. For a few days we mined happily and made some decent in game money. Our little group grew to 7 people, all noob characters and we were having a lot of fun running daily mining ops. Then one day we got a war dec. The corp deccing us was a two player team that had been in the game from day one. They did not mine, they did not do anything we could see other than try to make our lives hell. When we asked them to stop the war explaining that there was no way we could be a threat and had no interest in war, were told they did not care, they were having fun. This kind of grieifing BTW is consider just another part of EVE, needless to say we all quit. None of us minded competition but at least let us have a chance to take part. This was like a peewee league guard trying to block Reggie White in his prime.

This same mentality pervades ALL online gaming sadly. While this is not a comparison to the issue you have the point i am making is that online gaming today has begun to really SUCK. Competitive games either try to balance so no one can lose, dumb down the game or reward griefers.

Hey Ed, I know it's kinda late, but you could have all just joined an NPC corporation then you would have been safe, hehe :P

As for griefing, it IS just part of EVE, it's basically one of the only online games where it's encouraged because they want it to be a true sandbox game where anything is possible. A big part of the game is knowing how to outsmart the trolls, and the off-chance they get you, you gotta know how to shrug it off, it is a game after all. I know it sucks, but them's the breaks :teehee:

Hey Ed, I know it's kinda late, but you could have all just joined an NPC corporation then you would have been safe, hehe :P

As for griefing, it IS just part of EVE, it's basically one of the only online games where it's encouraged because they want it to be a true sandbox game where anything is possible. A big part of the game is knowing how to outsmart the trolls, and the off-chance they get you, you gotta know how to shrug it off, it is a game after all. I know it sucks, but them's the breaks :teehee:

He has a good point though, many MMOs have a Non-PvP system in place, where you can join a faction or play on a server where PvP won't take place, or is very limited. Runescape and WoW have these types of things, too. I know Runescape is server based, some servers have no PvP or limitations on how/where other players can attack you, and WoW I forget entirely.. But I know it has some sort of system for this.

Btw Ed, I wish they'd implement what XBOX Live failed at in future games:

Different online segments. one for relaxed players, one for competitive players, and whatever else you can break apart into categories.

Because for some people just playing the game is fun, regardless what they're doing blowing an RPG into a wall is fun for them- even if they lose.

Some people want to win, but aren't really pro players: Basically casual competition.

And some players have a knack for FPS, and to them a true competition of me against you is fun: these are truly competitive players.

I'd fall into the third on FPS (MOST of the time, I do just play for fun, but I mostly enjoy the competition), on other genres I'm not as competitive. Thing is, I don't mind losing. I've gotten beat plenty of times, I'm not god with a joystick here. But when I DO win, it's a killjoy to have it marked as a loss.

ALSO more specifically: When you try to join a team of players who regularly face other players competitively: If you have bad stats and a lot of losses; They're a lot more likely to say no and not have you as a part of their team. kinda like the kid who got picked last: Which is mostly frustrating because my stats show a player that isn't me: Even my Kill death ratio has been drastically affected by them trying to appease everyone. So when you look at my stats, I'm a "notch" above average, but not good. Then throw me into a match with a decent connection and no mid-match autobalance: And I get MVP more often than I even get 2n or 3rd MVP (Check my stats page- I have three times as many MVP ribbons as I do 2nd or 3rd, and I have at least one for every 3 games I've played.. Including the million losses recorded.)

But no one wants to scroll through pages of ribbons looking to see how many times I've been the game MVP. So it comes down to numerical stats: And mine suck.

Edited by dragonsdontfly

Play trackmaina then :)

You either need to develop skills or be lucky and it is still fun even if you don't win.

Everyone drives a car that handles and performs exactly the same (accelerates to 500km/h in seconds lol) nothing you can do, can change this. There is no way to pay to win.

You can't pick on others cars pass through each other, there are no grids just the exact same race for everyone and a time limit dictating how many goes you get.

Some servers are locked to certain levels and every server has an icon letting you know how close the average player level is to you. You have hundreds of servers and near endless user tracks to try. With new tracks made every day.

I love the game especially the online play.

I can't say I have ever enjoyed an online fps game.

Definitely enjoyed splitscreen/system link multiplayer fps with friends tho. But they're friends and for the most part they aren't overcompetitive jerks

He has a good point though, many MMOs have a Non-PvP system in place, where you can join a faction or play on a server where PvP won't take place, or is very limited. Runescape and WoW have these types of things, too. I know Runescape is server based, some servers have no PvP or limitations on how/where other players can attack you, and WoW I forget entirely.. But I know it has some sort of system for this.

Btw Ed, I wish they'd implement what XBOX Live failed at in future games:

Different online segments. one for relaxed players, one for competitive players, and whatever else you can break apart into categories.

Because for some people just playing the game is fun, regardless what they're doing blowing an RPG into a wall is fun for them- even if they lose.

Some people want to win, but aren't really pro players: Basically casual competition.

And some players have a knack for FPS, and to them a true competition of me against you is fun: these are truly competitive players.

I'd fall into the third on FPS (MOST of the time, I do just play for fun, but I mostly enjoy the competition), on other genres I'm not as competitive. Thing is, I don't mind losing. I've gotten beat plenty of times, I'm not god with a joystick here. But when I DO win, it's a killjoy to have it marked as a loss.

ALSO more specifically: When you try to join a team of players who regularly face other players competitively: If you have bad stats and a lot of losses; They're a lot more likely to say no and not have you as a part of their team. kinda like the kid who got picked last: Which is mostly frustrating because my stats show a player that isn't me: Even my Kill death ratio has been drastically affected by them trying to appease everyone. So when you look at my stats, I'm a "notch" above average, but not good. Then throw me into a match with a decent connection and no mid-match autobalance: And I get MVP more often than I even get 2n or 3rd MVP (Check my stats page- I have three times as many MVP ribbons as I do 2nd or 3rd, and I have at least one for every 3 games I've played.. Including the million losses recorded.)

But no one wants to scroll through pages of ribbons looking to see how many times I've been the game MVP. So it comes down to numerical stats: And mine suck.

So if the systems so bad how come these people you want to play with have good stats?

It sounds like the system does work, otherwise all these 'pro' players would have the same problems as you, that's if you are really as good as they are....... :whistling:

But hey, nobody is forcing you to play, that's your choice. If its that bad don't play, simple solution to the problem.

I guess I have two observations - is the W/L Ratio really that important? I mean in the end the W/L is really dependent on the overall team skill and anyone that pays attention to the W/L Ratio understands autobalancing and the skill level of other players on the team has a lot to do with that. There are plenty of NA and other Region servers that don't use autobalancing, and a whole lot more that autobalance not based on score or rank but based on who joined a particular team the last.

Autobalancing needs to be incorporated to some level to make sure that the number of players on each team is equal. How much fun is it to play on a server where there are 32 players on one team and 12 on another?

• Like 1

So if the systems so bad how come these people you want to play with have good stats?

It sounds like the system does work, otherwise all these 'pro' players would have the same problems as you, that's if you are really as good as they are....... :whistling:

But hey, nobody is forcing you to play, that's your choice. If its that bad don't play, simple solution to the problem.

True and they do however they counter by being part of large groups within the game. Now more power to them if that is what they choose but I did not want that because large groups ususally mean dealing with a-holes. We wanted our small group to enjoy and explore the game. Now we were not opposed to PVP but when you have a toon that is 4 years old fighint a bunch of toons that are 2 weeks old for no other reason than to be a jerk, that is just not cool.

The system they have in place in EVE can work and in my opinion does a lot of the time but at the same time it has flaws. Empire space is supposed to be safe space for new players. IF you decided to not create a corp with your buddies it is but you are severly limited. Everything outside of empire space is open to pure PVPO and I think that is cool but when you leave a simple loop hole to allow griefing of new players and they have no recourse other than being forced to not enjoy the game, there is an issue.

However EVE is not the only place this kind of crap happens. I know a lot of FPS players complain becuase some of the large scoring systems allow experienced players to headhunt in novice servers. This gives them easy kills and pads thier stats, letting them think of themselves as uber. The sad part is the game systems encourge this by the way the scores systems exist. I have also seen this in RTS and pretty much every other form of online play.I mean this seriously is like a major league pitcher that is only so so, going down to little league and bragging about how uber he is because he has such great stats now.

This kind of crap is what hurts online game play so much. People want to play their game, they want to enjoy it. They do not however want some jerk that goes out of their way to ruin everyone elses fun. It gets even worse when the game system that is designed to protect players is so screwed up it hurts them.

I'm going to include specific examples so you can't take my reply vaguely;

Being killed on a minecraft server for being friendly: that was your one example, and your only.

Minecraft doesn't have the level of competitive play BF3 does at all.

Being killed for visiting a random guy's house on minecraft ONCE is nothing like losing nearly 100 games out of 350 you've played due to bad servers.

Being killed on said server also doesn't get publicly recorded, and therefor has no effect even if you wanted to play competitively.

It's minecraft.. Being killed in minecraft is not a loss. Losing in BF3, is a loss.

You starting to see what I mean? We're on two different pages here.

I just gave the Minecraft example because it's a really good example of an admin abusing their powers in a game. It was meant to compare in a more basic sense, not with specifics. Also, this isn't a one time thing, it happens a lot if you visit a lot of Minecraft servers, it's happened to me enough times that I don't play on random servers anymore.

Also, I'm not sure if you've ever played Minecraft or not, but when you have full steel armor, tons of food and other supplies on you and you get killed, that's a pretty big loss if you're playing legit. When you put a good number of hours into a single character and have it taken away in less than ten seconds, that's a pretty big loss.

Also, I know you think that I don't get it but I do, I used to play FPS games as well, I have tons of hours into CoD4 and BFBC2, and I've experienced what you're talking about countless times. There's been plenty of times where I was on the top of a scoreboard on my team and got switched, even if I was still the best player on either team after the switch, it didn't make a difference when the other team still had more players and they were base raping the team I went to.

You know what actually determines if a player is truly good, a cut above the rest? When that kind of crap happens to them and they still manage to take the win, or at the very least manage to turn it around. When a single player can turn around a base rape, they're pretty good.

Personally, I never thought of myself as a good player though, I thought I was decent but not good, sure I could top a scoreboard of decent players but I was by no means the guy that turns the game around during a base rape. I was also never the guy that base raped though, any time I was on a team that would base rape, I would play the way I was supposed to, I would hang back and guard the points rather than cheating my way to the win. It's probably that kind of attitude that kept me from being a better player but I don't care, I'd rather play it right or not at all.

Also, regarding your PM, I understand you paid for the game, I pay for games too, but paying for a game doesn't entitle us to anything, not even that copy of the game. I know we'd all like to think it does but sadly it does not. I mean I bought Minecraft but if Mojang felt like it, they could disable my account for no reason whatsoever and there's nothing I could do about it, it's their property, I'm just renting it, because that's the way game companies setup their EULAs. So no, you don't have the right to complain about it, you may complain about it wherever you please but it's not a right and so if someone didn't like your complaining, they could censor you in any way they see fit. Besides, this is OCC, you aren't going to change anything complaining here, I don't know where you'd have to complain but I guess the EA or Battlefield 3 forums would be the place.

If it makes you feel any better though, I make of this thread because I'm jealous, to me it's annoying to see someone call themselves the good player and still complain about how unfair the game is to them. It's like watching a rich kid be given a BMW and complaining that the color isn't right and saying how unfair their parents are to them.