Build Help! LGA 1155 vs 2011!

Hi guys,

so i plan to build a new rig closer to summer that will primarily be used for gaming and i guess HD media purposes (don't really do all that photo/video editing stuff) and i thought i was determined on what parts to buy until i researched some more on the LGA 2011 socket. i was wondering whether its necessary for gaming to wait for this socket and what you guys expect the prices to be for it? because when it comes to processor i was hoping to max spend like $250-300 (the 2500k that ive been drooling over is only $228) Is the cost going to be somewhat reasonable for the 2011 or does it seem the 1155 is the way to go for me? How will gaming performance differ between the two from what we know about the 2011? i also noticed MOBO's for 1366 are quite a bit more expensive than the 1156, so once again should i assume this to be the case here? for a MOBO and CPU combo i was hoping for MAX $500, but lower would be preferred....the SB 2500k + a decent MOBO comes out to about $450 which is great. any help is appreciated!

uuhhrrmmm.....never really been interested in AMD....kind of been a die hard intel all my life lol

Why?

If you can't give a well reasoned answer to the above question you should rethink your buying habits. :)

My guess is that socket 2011 motherboards and processors will be more expensive than 1155 platform parts. I don't have this as firm, first hand knowledge, but just looking at it from a historical standpoint and Intel's product positioning practices.

If you want something between now and say July - your best bet is go with socket 1155 or possibly wait for bulldozer to see what it brings to the table and at what price point. If you want to wait until late this year (say 4th quarter) then you'll know what socket 2011 will set you back.

Why?

If you can't give a well reasoned answer to the above question you should rethink your buying habits. :)

hahaha ill be honest i dont have a solid reason at all, its just a personal preference...ive always thought of intel to be more reliable and feel better about buying their hardware...no point in buying stuff im not going to feel good about having in my system

If you're going to upgrade again, why not build a low cost Athlon II Quad system then then upgrade to 2011 socket when it arrives, bet you'll love it ;)

haha true....im just curious as to how much of a premium i would actually have to pay for the socket. are ALL 2011 expected to be better than 1155? cause i have noticed that some 1156 cpu's are more expensive than 1366 cpu's, does that mean they are better despite 1366 being the "high end" socket? can someone explain this? im sure i wont be unhappy with the i5 2500k if i get it, i just dont want there to be a 2011 for around the same price and then have to regret my decision lol

haha true....im just curious as to how much of a premium i would actually have to pay for the socket. are ALL 2011 expected to be better than 1155? cause i have noticed that some 1156 cpu's are more expensive than 1366 cpu's

I think you meant 1155 cpus right? :)

The pricing pain point is really between the 2600k and say the i7 950/930 cpus. That's why the 2500k is such a sweet deal. Around $229 last time I checked, and the only thing you really lose is a few tenths of stock Ghz and hyperthreading. You can easily overclock the 2500k to the same levels as the 2600k is capable of - so the only real loss is hyperthreading. $100 bucks for HT sounds like a pretty premium to me.

If you're set on socket 1155 save yourself some money and just get the 2500k instead of the 2600k.

Edited by wevsspot