Steam or Origin?

neddamttocs

69 members have voted

1. 1. Steam or Origin?

• Steam
    • Origin
    • Both
    • Neither

This seems to indicate that, yes, it was EA policy to enforce forum bans in Origin games. Perhaps they’re going to change that, or maybe they aren’t. In the meantime, I would suggest you stay far away from the EA forums. Nothing good can come of hanging out there, apparently.

How is that a point in origin's favor? You say they are trying to integrate the social aspect into origin but you have a quote saying to stay away from it. That it's literally dangerous to your gaming experience to interact with EA on any level other than playing their games. Origin is an inferior product, as should be evident if nothing else, by my example. However, even writing that off as origin being new to the market doesn't excuse EA's stupidity, lack of customer support and general "go . yourself" attitude they give towards their paying customers. Get your gamertag banned from xbox live, you have to make another one. BUT you still have your games. Get your name tossed around in EA's forums and they not only take away your ability to use that SN ever again, but they take away your games too.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm kind of struck by all the EA/Origin hate in these responses. While I don't "like" being forced into downloading and installing supporting apps to enjoy some gaming time, the reality is that if I want digital content I'm going to have to get it somewhere. The issue with Origin is maturity > and on that front Steam is years ahead of them. Of course they are.

After I got over my anger of having to install Origin just so I could play BF3 I calmed down. I don't like the frequent inability to connect the game manager at login, and the need to have a browser window open to launch the game kind of sucks. I've had a couple browser plugin updates that failed to install the first time around and ended up having to reinstall them, but other than that it's still a workable solution that needs refinement. The "party" feature is pretty cool for getting a game going with friends, and to this point the VOIP in party has been reliable and of pretty good quality.

Origin isn't perfect. But few things are in the beginning. My only other real complaint with Origin is the slow refresh rate on information regarding who's online, who's playing and what server they are in. Now this may just be a problem when using Chrome as the browser. I haven't investigated that using Firefox or IE9.

Oh, last minor inconvenience is the slow refresh rate on the server listing and the accuracy of the sort results. I often sort by number of players and/or ping. To put it bluntly their server refresh and sorting ability pretty well sucks.

How is that a point in origin's favor? You say they are trying to integrate the social aspect into origin but you have a quote saying to stay away from it. That it's literally dangerous to your gaming experience to interact with EA on any level other than playing their games. Origin is an inferior product, as should be evident if nothing else, by my example. However, even writing that off as origin being new to the market doesn't excuse EA's stupidity, lack of customer support and general "go . yourself" attitude they give towards their paying customers. Get your gamertag banned from xbox live, you have to make another one. BUT you still have your games. Get your name tossed around in EA's forums and they not only take away your ability to use that SN ever again, but they take away your games too.

That last paragraph was an accidental copy/paste from where the quote was posted. It's clearly not part of EA's response.

Don't post stupid things and you won't get banned. It's rather simple. There are many places to discuss an EA game outside of EA forums. There are even places that aren't even forums like Twitter, Reddit, and Facebook. All of which developers monitor occasionally. Game specific websites sometimes even have their own separate forums.

Edited by Krazyxazn

Don't post stupid things and you won't get banned. It's rather simple. There are many places to discuss an EA game outside of EA forums. There are even places that aren't even forums like Twitter, Reddit, and Facebook. All of which developers monitor occasionally. Game specific websites sometimes even have their own separate forums.

Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds?

So having more options to communicate about a product is ridiculous?

No, the "watch your back at all times and always tread lightly when posting on EA forums because you may get your entire library of games wiped out with no recourse" part is ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Nevermind. It's clear that we don't see eye-to-eye on this and we probably won't since this is you're okay with EA doing what they do.

No, the "watch your back at all times and always tread lightly when posting on EA forums because you may get your entire library of games wiped out with no recourse" part is ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Nevermind. It's clear that we don't see eye-to-eye on this and we probably won't since this is you're okay with EA doing what they do.

How is it that any different from say a workplace or anywhere outside of the digital realm. You can't just walking around saying whatever you want at most jobs.

Edited by Krazyxazn

How is it that any different from say a workplace or anywhere outside of the digital realm. You can't just walking around saying whatever you want at most jobs.

Playing games is not supposed to be a job or it is outside of the digital realm. Why would you even relate how you act in the workplace to an online gaming forum?

I honestly don't see why you're trying to justify this. The policy is BS, creates nothing but ill-will for EA, and frustrates users. Gaming is supposed to be fun...

Cmon, you know this comparison is very poor. You don't pay money to get a job like you do to get a game, so apples to oranges isn't helping a point. IDK about Origins, as I have never used it, even though with BF3 that will probably soon change. But, if they can wipe out your games library that you paid for, then I am not a fan already. As far as the don't say stupid things and you won't get banned, my question is what if others who are pissed off about someone being good at a game, start talking about that person hacking on the Origin forums, can that produce a ban? Like I said, I have never used it, so I really don't know. But, if that scenario is accurate, then screw that :whistling: