Getting the most out of EXCEL 2010

I have personally never seen an Excel spreadsheet that has pushed a CPU very hard. Now I am not saying they do not exist but I would find it hard to believe you would need to have anything past an i5 for even the biggest spreadsheets. I have seen low RAM space however effect them a lot. I would say if you got a decent i5 or FX chip (6 core or above) and put in 16 Gig with an SSD for the apps and spreadsheet storage, you should not see any kind of slow down. Again however this is a gut reaction since I have never seen a truly massive spreadsheet in action.

If however you have such a spreadsheet and want to know how the performance is effect by the CPU thread count, and processor speed, send it to me and I will be happy to run some tests for you.

Why do you think an SSD would help Excel calculations?

My bad. I mean to say that having an SSD is helpful as it will reduce saving time, load time (which should come into play while working with long excel documents).

More threads == faster.

Just take a look at this: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=287

A 2500K is eclipsed by the 2600K in the Excel benchmark - and the old real difference between the two CPUs is hyperthreading. More real cores would be even more beneficial. Granted, this is Excel 2007, but from what I've seen 2010 is far more threaded.

I've messed with some pretty huge spreadsheets but the only things my i7 920 and 6gbs or ram have not been able to handle snappily was when i made 3 pages of inserted checkboxes(don't ask) that took about 2 mins to load every change. But other than that so long as a good amount of my ram is free i have no problems.

• Like 1