ASRock Z77 SATA ports dead

I just installed an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with an i7 and 16 gigs of memory, as well as a new 128gig SSD. 

The board posts up, but goes into the BIOS configuration. It cannot see any of the 3 HD's or the Optical drive connected to the SATA ports. I tested the power supply and cables and they are good, and my VGA card is OK. It is just anything connected to SATA. 

Any suggestions? Does this MOBO have some obscure settings I need to change? BTW, I reset to default, no change.

this might sound dumb but you do have the power connected to the hdds and rom drive right? otherwise unless all the sata cables are bad you have a bad board. It should show in the bios.

edit: of course before tossing the board or RMA it, check all the connects and maybe try to switch them around.

I checked the power cable, and it was fine,but I switched to a new one anyway without change. The data cables were in use in the old machine without problem, but again I tried brand new cables, no change. 

I just can't believe my bad luck. This board was a replacement for an RMA'd board that was no good, so I gave up and bought a new one. This is the third bad board I have gotten. I have gone over my build procedures, but I can't find anything wrong. And yes, I have read the tutorials. This is not my first build. I just never had this much trouble before. 

^ Then though luck. Many people out there praise extreme 4 and many don't for different reasons. Your board is one of those bad board.

What next? RMA it.

Edited by d6bmg

Mac, before RMA I would recommend that you check and make sure you're running the latest BIOS revision released for the board.  If not please flash to latest BIOS.  If you are running the latest revision, there isn't any harm in re-flashing the same revision.  If your'e not comfortable with a BIOS flash, then at minimum do a full CMOS clear, including removal of the motherboard battery, move CMOS jumper pin to clear etc.

Two of your SATA 6Gb/s ports and all four of your SATA 3Gb/s ports are controlled by the Intel Z77 chipset, but the other two 6Gb/s ports are controlled by the ASMedia chipset, and frankly it almost impossible that all of the SATA ports from both chipsets are dead.

After clearing (or reflashing) your BIOS, power down and connect just your SSD to one of the Intel 6Gb/s ports.  Boot into BIOS and under SATA configuration options set those ports to AHCI mode.  And while you're in the BIOS, don't forget to enable the ASMedia 6Gb/s controller and also set it to AHCI mode.  Reboot and see if the board picks up the SSD.  If not, disconnect the SATA cable from the Intel port and connect it to the ASMedia port and check again.

Please report findings.

wevspot,I 'think" I saw both enabled to AHCI mode, but not certain. I can flash the BIOS, this board makes it very easy. 

I will do as you said when I get home from work. Thanks

I can't believe I didn't think of a ACHI issue and SSD. I hope wevs ideas work. I was just think how this would be the first time i've heard of all sata ports being bad. but wevs right that is nearly impossible.

See new rig in my sig.

I had a problem with one of the HDD not showing up and it was because the SATA cable popping off after I closed the case!  :mfp:

I'm just suggesting you check.

Sorry to hear it because I like the board

Well, no joy. I flashed the BIOS without problem. I hooked the SSD, the Optical Drive, and one of the WD HDD's to each of the ports one at a time, none detected. I then  noticed that I had a front eSATA port connected,and disconnected it. No change. I flashed the BIOS again, no change. 

Any other ideas?

EDIT: I am going to take Wed off from work, and re-assemble the machine. Take the MOBO out, check it for defects, make sure I don't have a short somewhere........If that does not work, I will try a different case. I have a clunky old one that I never used, maybe that will clear it up. 

If anyone has any other ideas, I am open to anything. Voodoo is OK, but I won't kill any chickens.............

Edited by mac173