Wow Talk About Folding

road-runner

Folding is a good way to put a load on a system (stress testing and doing some good at the same time), I'm assuming they're just running their entire system before they open their beta up.

Makes sense though, all that money into that you certainly want to make sure it works before you open yourself to the world.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess it just goes to show that if they really really really need science crunched there are ways to do it and quick but I am sure it cost a fortune...

There are far larger machines than that as well...heck I'm pretty sure the cluster here at Clemson could best it assuming the whole thing was cranking. :P What can dual quad core Nehalems pull with Folding in terms of PPD?

Edited by Waco

There are far larger machines than that as well...heck I'm pretty sure the cluster here at Clemson could best it assuming the whole thing was cranking. :P What can dual quad core Nehalems pull with Folding in terms of PPD?

I think they pull around 100,000 ppd on bigadv...

I think they pull around 100,000 ppd on bigadv...

Seriously? Jesus, that's a LOT of PPD.

2570 Nehalem Xeons at 2.3-2.5 GHz

512 2.3 GHz Opteron (Phenom II based)

That's ~125 million PPD just for the Xeons! :blink:

Edited by Waco

Seriously? Jesus, that's a LOT of PPD.

2570 Nehalem Xeons at 2.3-2.5 GHz

512 2.3 GHz Opteron (Phenom II based)

That's ~125 million PPD just for the Xeons! :blink:

100 thousand not million on dual xeons is what there getting for a pair, the new 6/12 core should do more...

HOw in the hell can get that running for a client on my box. I only have one running and cant seem to pull much over 1500PPD

On the one in your sig Franks the 12 core i7? With windows on my 980x I am not getting but 13,000 PPD. When I had the 980x in another board/room I was getting 80,000 PPD with the bigadv flag. Bigadv is only going to be for 16 core machines they say starting next month though the bigadv WUs have been scarce the last month or so guess there already changing the servers up at stanford in preparation.

Here is a guide on the new beta client http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinGuide

Adding flags... http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=18187

This is all I am getting with windows, if we want big points we are going to have to have 16 cores or more starting next month...

th_folding-1.jpg

Flag I am using...

th_bigadv.jpg

Edited by road-runner