Is Buffalo a reliable brand? recommend me a good NAS or new Case?

potatochobit

hello

is buffalo a good brand? 

I see their products alot at microcenter but I wasn't sure if it's worth the reliability risk

I'm looking for a 4 bay NAS around 500$ would be nice

I want to use the NAS to back up time machine on two drives in raid and use the other drives for video storage if possible

I also have an Antec P182 case

it is very nice and quiet but a bit of a PitA to change hard drives

anyone recommend a new style case that is very quiet and has easily swappable hard disks?

I recommend looking in to Synology NAS systems. They are very nice units and can support a lot of additional functionality as well. Unfortunately the DS412+ is priced around ~650, so that might be too much of a stretch considering your budget. I picked up one of their 5 bay models (DS1512+) a few months ago, and I have to say I absolutely love it, granted I'm using it for a lot more then just backing up files. I use mine for serving iSCSI, NFS (for use with VMware ESXi), and CIFS, etc. You may not need all of those features, but overall they have a solid product and I found it to be very intuitive and easy to configure.

• Like 1

rather than use a said NAS why not just set up an old rig?

If you have spare parts you can set up the same thing and add your own drives.

Buffalo makes good stuff. They are along the lines of Rosewill...

I would do the calculation on whats cheaper... even if you have an old dual core rig and maybe 2-4gb of ram you'd be golden. Just set the rig up initially with a Static IP and you can share the drives and then map them to other PCs.... then you can shove it in the basement or closet and forget about it. If you need in it Remote Desktop into it...

wow, that's a damn good nas idea doc, imma remember that !,...i have and currently use three buffalo wireless adapters that work really well, and have had 1 really good buffalo router and 1 really bad buffalo router,..so my take on buffalo is that they are pretty good but subject to the same possibility of failure as the other products out there on the market...

I fully agree with trying to build your own NAS if all you need is simple file shares. For my situation I just really needed true NAS with VMware support and good performance through iSCI.

If you have old parts lying around, definitely try some of the NAS type distros, like freeNAS, openfiler, or just use a regular windows system to share out folders...

As for a new case, I would highly recommend going with a Fractal R4, or the Fractal Midi Arc2. They are both nice cases and make it easy to replace hard drives.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352020

well, I have a socket 939 AMD 64 X2, but it is PATA and SATA1 motherboard only

most of those reviews Ive seen on 2TB and 3TB drives seem to be make them look less reliable than regular 1.5GB drives?

well, I have a socket 939 AMD 64 X2, but it is PATA and SATA1 motherboard only

most of those reviews Ive seen on 2TB and 3TB drives seem to be make them look less reliable than regular 1.5GB drives?

Good 2, 3TB Drives are reliable. Whereas bad drives aren't.

And you can always use cheap PSI based SATA cards to connect SATA drives if you don't have to run any kind of RAID. Otherwise, you can choose a good RAID card.

• 2 weeks later...

freeNAS looks very nice

I want to use it with macOSX so I can back up my files at work and use them at home

usually I carry around a USB3.0 HD

here is what my case looks like

there really is no fan

it can hold 3 hard drives, but they are literally on top of each other

this obviously is not good cooling, think this will cause premature failure and I should go ahead and get a new case or pre-built?

IMG_6775_zps0bff25ba.jpg

edit:

well, I cut a hole and super glued an old antec fan I had 

IMG_6781_zps18664558.jpg

now the CPU fan is quite noisy

I have an old phenom II fan lying around
I think that will fit?

AM2 and Socket 939 fan brackets are the same, right?

Edited by potatochobit