Help me choose an AM3+ board

So I found a Phenom II x4 965 at a pretty decent price and was going to ask you guys for help on picking a mobo. I am looking for the cheapest one i can get my hands on that can support this CPU and not have problems with it. I am currently looking at the Gigabyte 78LMT-S2P. I believe it can support the wattage of the Phenom which is pretty high actually and I have 2x2 gigs of OCZ 1333 RAM that will go along with it. This is just a temporary fix to replace my now deceased i7 and x58 mobo until I will eventually get the money to buy myself back into some serious intel CPUs.

Nope, but it's fine. I went with it in the end. The only problem that might have occurred was whether the mobo could supply the 140 Watt the phenom 965 needed which it can. I hope i can attach my aftermarket heatsink to it though. It's compatible with the CPU but I don't know about the motherboard.

Edited by Rofltroll

Not from the US so I don't have acces to newegg. ComputerEd, that motherboard is more expensive than the CPU and, again, this is just a temporary setup so my GTX 470 can have a CPU good enough for gaming. Same goes for your choice d6bmg.

If all of these are temporary solution, you won't be needing a AM3+ board to run that Phenom 965.

Look for a second hand AM3 board, which you should get at a pretty cheap price and would be great as a temporary solution.

You can't really trust second hand vendors here.

I hope some of the local tech forums in your country have trading or buying & selling section..

I was talking about those..

• 2 weeks later...

I had my ASUS M4N98TD evo die on me and wanted a cheap board that was the same for my PII X4 965BE.

I was able to get an ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0

This was cheap and new. ( I'm in Australia.) It runs really well with a small overclock.

For a cheep, temporary, AM3+ motherboard. Asus M4A78T-E,  you can pick up a used one on FleBay for thirty bucks.

Or Asus M4A89TD Pro for fifty bucks. I would go with a used 890FX board. Good Luck, :cheers:

Edited by Braegnok
  • Like 1

For a cheep, temporary, AM3+ motherboard. Asus M4A78T-E,  you can pick up a used one on FleBay for thirty bucks.

Or Asus M4A89TD Pro for fifty bucks. I would go with a used 890FX board. Good Luck, :cheers:

:withstupid:

Both of them are very good choices specially when OP have said that he have no intention of using AMD for a long period of time.