XFX HD 7870 and 7850 Double Dissipation Review

It may not have the ability to adjust voltages at this point if you followed everything int he guide you posted. A bios that unlocks voltage control would be a possibility but then again if it fails to flash correctly you have a bricked card.  

Behind the box of the card, they show a features called XCELERATE 1.0. You can read, Power Tune Smart, real=time optimization of Clock speed and Voltage. This is bullshit, you can't increase voltage.

I found that explication: Power tune allow you to adjust the power limit of the card.

This power control option doesn't tweak the voltage.

The power limit doesn't affect the voltage, it only allows the card to draw more power. Voltage and Power Limit are separate things.

I think I will ask a exchange or refund, kind of a bad marketing here.

What do you think ?

Edited by Tibone18

The company does not owe you any voltage adjustment capability on the card you have or any card in their product stack. If you have it great if you dont you can take your chances with modifying the BIOS or flashing a BIOS that allows it. Finally you could vmod the card if its that important.that you have the ability. For instance the Devil R9 270 I just looked at does not have voltage control enabled on the card but the the Devil HD 7870 that I looked at a couple months earlier does. Both use a pitcairn based core and are for all intents the same card. One does and one does not. At this point I find it hit and miss.

There is no poor marketing here you just have to understand what the feature set does. It is meant to optimize the voltage based on the clock speed and graphics load. Sitting idle on the desktop you do not need the GPU to run at full speed or use the same voltage used for full rated clock speed so the core down clocks the GPU speed, lets say down to 150Mhz with a voltage drop to .885v. Now when you go to game or use it as a co processor to reduce the time a task takes through GPU acceleration the clock speed bumps up to lets say 1100Mhz in a boost condition. IN this scenario the voltage that now jumps to 1.20v to allow the GPU to run with those rated clock speeds. So you see how optimizing is much different from raising the voltage to facilitate overclocking.

Hope that answers your questions.     

Ok, ive got now GPU-Z and you right, I can see my voltage increase automaticly when I'm gaming, from.825V to 1.219, awesome. But now, I'm frustrating to see that on this review, R34CT1V4T3D reach 1241Mhz with the same card of me, I can't get more than 1100Mhz. When I increase more, the dead blue screen.. What do you think ?

Edited by Tibone18