New NAS configuration (poll inside! Yay!)

Waco

3 members have voted

1. 1. Which configuration would you choose?

• 9+3 RAIDZ3
    • 3+3 RAIDZ3 x 2
    • 4+2 RAIDZ2 x 2
    • 2+2 RAIDZ2 x 3
    • 1+1+1 RAID1 x 4
    • 1+1 RAID1 x 6
    • OTHER: One of the 15 drive setups, see my post. :)

So I have six new 2 TB drives on the way to supplement my NAS box. I've got bays for 12 drives (I could fit 3 more internally if I have a good argument to doing so).

So, of the 12 drive configurations, which would you choose for your backups and "permanent" storage?

I'm leaning towards the quad 3-way RAID1 mirrors purely for redundancy and speed...but I figured I'd see what OCC users would do.

And yes, I'll probably benchmark a 12-way RAID0 just for funzies. :)

Any suggestions on good 14 or 15 drive setups are totally welcome as well! A 15 drive setup that's appealing to me is five 3-way RAID1 sets...stupid fast reads and very fast writes...

I personally use 8 1TB drives in RAID 10. I haven't needed an upgrade, and none of the disks have yet to fail.

I think I did do a benchmark of 8 disks in RAID 0 for fun, still not as fast as 2 SSD's in RAID 0, but it was fun. I hope I can find the screenshot for it. We can see how it scales against 12 disks in RAID 0. :P

It should be well north of 1 GB/s for streaming reads/writes if I configure it properly.  My "bad" configuration now does about 600 MB/s (9 drive RAIDZ3).

When the disks get here I'll make a backup of the current filesystem and start benching all of the various configurations. :)

Being lazy from being in class all day to look it up myself (and so others may learn if they came here), what's RAIDZ2 and RAIDZ3? I've been out of the RAID game since RAID0 back with my two 150GB (preVeloci) Raptors...

So I settled on a pseudo-RAID 10 setup. It's 4 sets of 3-way mirrors. 24 TB RAW, 8 TB usable. Roughly 400 MB/s writes, and almost 1.3 GB/s reads (streaming). It's stupid fast. :lol: If I converted it to a RAID 0 set it'd be ~1.3 GB/s write and ~1.3 GB/s read. :D

The 3-way mirrors are distributed across 3 controllers so that any two controllers and any two disks from all of the 4 mirrors can die without causing data loss. Snapshots weekly, cold backups monthly to a 6 TB external.

I might be paranoid, but I buy cheap disks and don't trust them one bit. :lol: