OCC Forums

paulktreg

Spring and summer are always hard on the forums they everyone shows up again.

That's because Winter is the best time to overclock :)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Forum stats are down, main site stats are up.

Spring and summer are always hard on the forums they everyone shows up again.

Traffic goes up and down, always has always will.

I blame it on people being out of school and enjoying the warmer weather (or slightly cooler weather for the folks down under).

Most have probably upgraded in the last 3 years to Sandy Bridge or newer. Once they figure out the overclock (and they really don't need to overclock these days, CPU's perform faster at stock than previous generation's overclocks), there's not many other questions to ask.

Same thing with SSD's. After getting one SSD, even a good SATA II back in the day, they're still probably running pretty good, and fast enough to not warrant an upgrade.

Most questions are probably graphics card related and cooling related. How's this card compared to another card, etc. How can I lower my temperatures, and more common questions like that.

Imo, hardware has increased to the point where software has to catch up to utilize the hardware to the fullest extent. At this point, the question for most people is: what can I do with my computer other than play games?

That's true.

The first SSDs I bought back in 2009 (for a princely amount) are still running 24/7 in my server without any troubles at all. They were desktop drives up until a few months ago and after 5 years of service they're still cranking right along...

Aye, I have an '09 SSD in my laptop and it hobbles along fine...

"Hobbles along" and "fine" aren't exactly what I'd consider as the best descriptors for an SSD.

Aye, I have an '09 SSD in my laptop and it hobbles along fine...

"Hobbles along" and "fine" aren't exactly what I'd consider as the best descriptors for an SSD.

:lol:

For an SSD that is; compared to a mechanical hard drive it's like going from carrier pidgeon to fiber ;)

I think all of them are slow compared to years ago when we were trying to get some speed out those old single and dual cores. Technology has come a long way, big companies have ruined overclocking as a competition on hwbot etc. unless you happen to be one that is sponsered by one then u can play or if you have very deep pockets...

Technology has come a long way, big companies have ruined overclocking as a competition on hwbot etc. unless you happen to be one that is sponsered by one then u can play or if you have very deep pockets...

And with HWBOT it is so confusing with all the different leagues - Pro OC, OC, Enthusiast, Hardware Masters, etc 

Our Benchmark sections has practically gathered dust in the past year... Plus, there have not been any good overclocking contests between different forums either - the last Forum War was over 3 years ago.

We should organize an "Overclockers Club Overclocking Challenge" (OCCOC) - to put the "Overclock" back into "Overclockers club".

Everyone on the forum would be welcome and we use some of the latest CPU/GPU/RAM benchmarks to battle it out for fun.

Nothing to lose, no big prizes to win - just a good ol' contest for e-peen and perhaps a custom group title like OCCOC Winner '14 with Tier 5 Donation privileges.

What do you guys think of that ? 

Technology has come a long way, big companies have ruined overclocking as a competition on hwbot etc. unless you happen to be one that is sponsered by one then u can play or if you have very deep pockets...

And with HWBOT it is so confusing with all the different leagues - Pro OC, OC, Enthusiast, Hardware Masters, etc 

Our Benchmark sections has practically gathered dust in the past year... Plus, there have not been any good overclocking contests between different forums either - the last Forum War was over 3 years ago.

We should organize an "Overclockers Club Overclocking Challenge" (OCCOC) - to put the "Overclock" back into "Overclockers club".

Everyone on the forum would be welcome and we use some of the latest CPU/GPU/RAM benchmarks to battle it out for fun.

Nothing to lose, no big prizes to win - just a good ol' contest for e-peen and perhaps a custom group title like OCCOC Winner '14 with Tier 5 Donation privileges.

It's a nice idea, but I think overclocking's gotten to the point where people see the difference in benchmarks, but can't relate it to what matters in a user's day-to-day experience.

I would rather have a contest where someone measures some of their daily tasks (like gaming, web browsing with lots of tabs, video encoding, excel calculations, etc.) with everything at stock settings. Then they overclock parts or all of their system and measure everything again. Then they report the difference of whether it helped or didn't, and by how much.

We could gather a list of tasks where overclocking helps, and someone can write a guide about it. Everyone that participated can get entry into a prize drawing.

It's a nice idea, but I think overclocking's gotten to the point where people see the difference in benchmarks, but can't relate it to what matters in a user's day-to-day experience.

I would rather have a contest where someone measures some of their daily tasks (like gaming, web browsing with lots of tabs, video encoding, excel calculations, etc.) with everything at stock settings. Then they overclock parts or all of their system and measure everything again. Then they report the difference of whether it helped or didn't, and by how much.

We could gather a list of tasks where overclocking helps, and someone can write a guide about it. Everyone that participated can get entry into a prize drawing.

I can't see that working well, for a whole number of reasons... 

1.) The games are not free, with very few having built-in benchmarks plus using FRAPS to measure the average FPS is more effort and more variable if not done correctly.

2.) How do you measure your web browser ? Perhaps you would have to manually time how long a page takes to load, but that really is more dependent on your Internet speed which is highly variable. 

3.) Excel calculations would also require you to own Excel.

It would be a lot harder to implement such a contest, plus most people would rather just let a benchmark run and get a score as it takes a minimal amount of effort.