Intel Core i7 2600K and Core i5 2500K Reviewed

Bosco

I pre-ordered at my local MicroCenter on Sunday at 5:00AM when they had 8 left in stock, I had to take my gf to the airport at 5:30AM, so I stayed up all night. MicroCenter opens at 11:00AM on Sunday, so I was expecting to wake up, drive in, and pick one up. However, they cancelled the pre-order at because they sold out at like 11:30AM. Oh well, I'm looking forward to some OCC'er with the 2600k just to verify a few things I have questions for.

Something interesting I read:

Results are representative of 100 D2 CPUs that were binned and tested for stability under load; these results will most likely represent retail CPUs.

1. Approximately 50% of CPUs can go up to 4.4-4.5 GHz

2. Approximately 40% of CPUs can go up to 4.6-4.7 GHz

3. Approximately 10% of CPUs can go up to 4.8-5 GHz (50+ multipliers are about 2% of this group)

Additionally it is recommended to keep 「C1E」and「EIST」option enabled for the best overclock scaling. This is different than previous Intel overclocking expectations where the best scaling was with disabled power states or power management options."

http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1979&pageID=9990

I really, really want to be one of the 2%.

Voltage is what it takes to reach a certain speed but the release BIOS's help alot here. My chip was multiplier locked at 44 max no matter what. The new BIOS's have a setting Internal PLL overvoltage that significantly helps and has my chip running a 50 multiplier right now

Do these chips run the new bios thing or the standard one? I remember hearing they were going to obsolete bios but i have not seen anything since.

They're moving to UEFI and away from the standard BIOS. Apparently, Macs have been using EFI for a while now.

What is the difference? And by moving to it do you mean the sandy bridge chips use UEFI?

Any CPU could have used it up until now. UEFI is just a natural progression of technology. It has native mouse support which is just nice, really. It isn't limited to the 32-bit BIOS support like not being able to boot from a storage drive with more than 2.2 TB of space, and it boots WAY faster than a BIOS. Think more than 5 seconds saved.