Dead motherboard in friends computer, time to upgrade

So my friends computer is a bit of a hodgepodge of newer and older parts, luckily most of them can transfer over to a new computer without much fuss.

Current specs are as follows

Motherboard: Asus M4A77TD-EVO socket AM3 (dead)

CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450, unlocked to quad-core

Heatsink: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO

Ram: 8gbs (2x4gb) Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600

GPU: XFX Radeon 4870x2 reference blower (paid $15 at the scrapyard)

PSU: Corsair TX650 650w non-modular

Hard Drives: 1x WD Caviar Black 1tb sata 2.0, 1x Hitachi 1tb sata 2.0, 1x WD Caviar SE 250gb sata 1.0

Case: InWin Dragon Rider (White) with purple led fans

Kind of an interesting mix of parts, but I can at least upgrade it to an AM3+ board for now and convince him to get a better cpu later (I think he's spent like, $650 on everything so far over like, 3 or 4 years, getting him to spend money on parts is a bastard, he was using an old Geforce 7800GT before we found the 4870x2)

This is a gaming and music PC primarily, so I was thinking a good 990FX board would be a solid step in the right direction, everything he has will drop right in for now and it'll leave him room to upgrade later on if I can convince him to spend the money

Check out if anyone has any used ones, it's probably better to get a used good board than a new cheap one (seeing at how he's cheap)

Props to the OG 4870x2

Edited by IVIYTH0S

He just wants to do a full board / cpu upgrade now, since we aren't sure how much life is life in the cpu, heading to microcenter this weekend to do some price-scouting, most likely going with a high~mid range AM3+ build unless we can catch a good sale on an Intel combo

Yup, definitely an AMD build, bare cpu FX-4130 is only $40 and we already have a good heatsink.

Question now is, Asus Sabertooth, or Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5?

I'm an Asus guy myself but I've heard good things about Gigabyte

Edited by DexRain

He just wants to do a full board / cpu upgrade now, since we aren't sure how much life is life in the cpu, heading to microcenter this weekend to do some price-scouting, most likely going with a high~mid range AM3+ build unless we can catch a good sale on an Intel combo

Yup, definitely an AMD build, bare cpu FX-4130 is only $40 and we already have a good heatsink.

Question now is, Asus Sabertooth, or Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5?

I'm an Asus guy myself but I've heard good things about Gigabyte

Which is cheaper? I liked my old Gigabyte more but it was the top of the line, both brands have served me well. So I'd get whichever is cheaper or whichever has more features he'd use

• 1 month later...