SSD from Laptop to Desktop

Shurman292

I'm building a desktop for my fiancee sometime in the next month.  I'm going to use the SSD that is currently installed in her laptop (Plextor M3) as the main OS drive in the new desktop. 

I installed Win7 fresh onto the SSD when it was in her laptop, and I did all the recommended tweaks for SSD stability.  It's been running in AHCI.

Is it possible to just physically transfer the drive over, install the correct chipset/video drivers, and be on my way?  Or will I have to do a fresh install?  

Hey Shur - I don't see this as being much different than a motherboard swap without fresh OS install.  Take same procedures and you should be fine.  You'll probably have some extra drivers from the laptop; chipset, touchpad, bluetooth (maybe), wireless lan, gpu etc.

Personally I'd uninstall those drivers before I removed the SSD from the laptop.  Specifically if I were attempting this, before I pulled the SSD from the laptop I'd remove the following drivers and do a manual clean up of the registry;

chipset, gpu, audio, usb 3.0 (if lappy has), ethernet, wireless, blue tooth (if lappy has), touchpad, 3rd party power management, sata/ide controller.

Hmm I was wondering if it might be similar.  Thanks so much for the detailed feedback wevs!  If I remember, I'll update this thread when I get around to making the swap to let others know what went well/badly.