2008 Video Card Roundup

jammin

As you can see the difference in FPS from one cpu and chipset to the next results in a O FPS gain and in fact a loss in at least one instance.

Given that Crysis is known to scale very poorly with CPU clock speed increases I'm not surprised at all by that.

I'm not saying that the CPU difference is a deal-breaker, just that some of the results may be off by a significant amount in the more CPU-bound tests.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is awesome, especially since I've pretty much come to the conclusion I want to buy a new video card. And I love how compared both the price AND performance. First time I seen that done. But the conclusion DOES surprise me, not because of the previous generation winning thing. But because of this quote...

Since everything is presented via graphical representation all I have to go from is those graphs and the card mentioned in the conclusion were neither the lowest or the highest - they were middle of the road - so no matter if "lower is better" or if "higher is better" ...I still don't see how you arrived at that conclusion. :unsure:

Really digging the study and i love the direction it took, would like to see that added more often. One thing I was hoping to see in a recent review is a review of a 260 with more processing cores to see if the processing core upgrade makes much of a difference. Was talking with Bowtie and we think even the starting clock speed is less than the EVGA FTW version, if you OCed this bad boy what kind of difference would we see in performance:

EVGA - 260 w/ 216 Processing Cores

EVGA - 260 w/ 216 Processing Cores - clocked lower

As soon as we get one of the next gen GTX260s we can show the difference.. You have to figure it will fall between the current GTX260 (192 cores) and the GTX280(240cores) So performance should fall in that middle somewhere. Not to mention what the 180 series of drivers are rumored to do.

As soon as we get one of the next gen GTX260s we can show the difference.. You have to figure it will fall between the current GTX260 (192 cores) and the GTX280(240cores) So performance should fall in that middle somewhere. Not to mention what the 180 series of drivers are rumored to do.

Yah, just curious. Any idea on how the conclusion said the "clear winner" was such and such? Still trying to figure that one out. Reason I'm asking is because I'm about this | | close to buying a new vid card.

What did you end up getting?

EVGA GeForce GTX 260 - 216 Processing Cores

Right now there are some deals on the 192 cores that were quite tempting and probably made more sense financially, but whatever... I'm guy. I'm single. I can afford the extra Andrew Jackson or two if it gives me what i need - more power. :ph34r: I'll just take the next chick to Chick-fil-A instead of sushi.

Just got one for $229! After voltmodding this thing will fly kill the GTX280! LOL

re-Bay? Insane man, that's less than half its retail price. Do you really need to volt mod it tho? <_<

But you will cuz you can. :P

EVGA GeForce GTX 260 - 216 Processing Cores

Right now there are some deals on the 192 cores that were quite tempting and probably made more sense financially, but whatever... I'm guy. I'm single. I can afford the extra Andrew Jackson or two if it gives me what i need - more power. :ph34r: I'll just take the next chick to Chick-fil-A instead of sushi.

re-Bay? Insane man, that's less than half its retail price. Do you really need to volt mod it tho? <_<

But you will cuz you can. :P

:D