Looking for a Cheap laptop

peshewah

I work on the road and need a simple laptop. But not so cheap one that it breaks down in a months time. I need a laptop that I can surf the net, pay bills, keep track of reciepts.  I need at least 4gb of ram. I need to buy it at a major chain store before I go back from to work. I am home visiting family at the time. Any ideas? Thank you for any response and Merry Christmas.

Check out Tiger Direct. I bought a refurbished Gateway about 4 years ago thats still running great, and I just bought a refurbished ASUS for a friend who loves it. Both were about $399. I got the rebate on the ASUS in just three weeks.

Phil

I was looking at a Asus X55A-HPD1225  Sku# 6999314  at Best buy. Looks like it fits the bill. I really don't have the time to wait for shipping. I will blow out of here the day after Christmas heading back to Chicago. I am grateful for your response.

Tiger has stores in Chicago, Vernon Hills, Orland Park, Naperville, and Hoffman Estates. That said the deal you found looks good. I never shop at Best Buy because of a bad experience but some people have had bad experiences at Tiger.

Merry Christmas.

Phil

Total nerd, under $400. I think I will pick one up here. It is a 9 hour drive to Chicago. Once I am there I have no time to myself. Just work and a cold beer on a Saturday night. Thanks guy

I will say that I can't find any specs on that laptop on the Asus web site . I would like to max it out on Ram. 

Asus laptop naming convention - the first four alpha/numeric digits are the most important.  They define the base model.  The remainder of the part number is often merchant/sku specific to the retailer.

You'll be able to confirm in store if they will let you remove the memory cover - but there should be one un-populated DIMM slot in there that will allow you to add one additional memory module up to max size 4Gb.  So essentially you have two DIMM slots each capable of supporting up to a 4Gb memory module per slot for a total of 8Gb "officially".

for cheap laptops I prefer the AMD A series....

I have an HP DV6 A6-3400 thats fast and has great battery life. HPisnt known for longevity and I'd go Asus over HP.... I'd see what you can find locally someone like Staples or Office Max or Best Buy will have something in stock and you can haggle down the price :) I always do...