NVIDIA GTX 690 Reviewed

Okay now joking aside there is some validity to the concept that gaming needs have slowed. Look at all the big releases over the last year, the need for high end hardware to get a great gaming experience was just not there. Game developers are not pushing the tech as hard anymore. They are working m ore with cross platform designing which means lower hardware demands. they have accepted that the majority of people do not run high end equipment and have made the games for that majority to enjoy. I mean I know people today still running HD4850's that are happily playing Skyrim. Look at the Steam info, GeForce 9xxx series cards are still near the top of the list.

It is easy for us to make jokes about this but there is a definite slow down in the need to march forward for the tech. We see this even in the PCU market, the AMD Phenom II and the original Intel i5 are still very viable chips and systems built around them still game very well.I mean who would have thought 4 years ago that the Phenom II could still be a great gaming CPU this much later in life?

Then look at the todays hardware with the pricing. I mean it is really not that hard to believe that a $500 card could be viable after 3 to 4 years let alone a $1000 card.

It's not just gaming, Ed. Even with productivity software, Sandy Bridge does a heck of a job, especially with Virtu Quick Sync. It's funny that you say that, I have a friend that still uses a HD 4850 512MB and still doing okay playing Skyrim. Of course, it's with detail levels lowered, but he can still play.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not just gaming, Ed. Even with productivity software, Sandy Bridge does a heck of a job, especially with Virtu Quick Sync. It's funny that you say that, I have a friend that still uses a HD 4850 512MB and still doing okay playing Skyrim. Of course, it's with detail levels lowered, but he can still play.

I managed to pull off everything maxed out except for AA (off IIRC) on my 9800GTX & Core 2 Duo (without the HD texture DLC), and it was quite playable. New games that are Xbox360/PS3 ports are pretty easy to run on most hardware, but I think this might change when the new consoles come out. New games will be more resource intensive, but most of our rigs are far more powerful than the leaked Xbox720 specs, so we'll probably be able to hold out for a while until the devs manage to really optimize their games on that platform.

step right up, step right up folks, who wants a 690 in australia?

well today is your lucky day, you can get one for the bargain basement price of $1599, (shipping not included)

thats right folks, a mere 63% markup compared to america, thats right! only 63%

crazy i know, i must be going out of business selling them this cheap!

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=416&products_id=20169

:pfp:

How are they selling them in that price? :blink:

Although a markup like that is utter BS, it's called "Not living in America" :wacko:

Actually its called "Living in Australia or South Africa" :P:lol:

The question is this. There are many who would buy 2 cards for a grand and then balk at the price of a two GPU card that is the same cost as two cards. It boggles the mind. Why balk at a single card that does everything that two cards do in a smaller more efficient package. I still remember paying more than that for a pair of 1900Xt cards for crossfire. Hell whats even more boggleing is that the price point for the top end has been semi stagnant at 5 to 700 buck while the performance has gone up exponentially over the past few generations.

I would buy the 670 or the 7950 and get 80% of the performance for less then 60% of the price. And also for a grand I could just build a sweet system.

Edited by Black64

I would buy the 670 or the 7950 and get 80% of the performance for less then 60% of the price. And also for a grand I could just build a sweet system.

Yeah, but this card isn't really aimed at you, is it? It's aimed at the people that would buy 2 680's for SLI, and now they can have basically the same deal in a single card, running in a more efficient manner (as ccokeman said). This card is absolutely not aimed at a consumer that would build the entire computer for $1000.