Intel Core i7 4770K Reviewed

Bosco

Of course not. Your rig is in the upper echelon of the consumer/performance market. I on the other hand, am using a C2D. In the next month I will be building a completely new machine. I put together a sub $1000 build and find it hard to NOT go Haswell. Sure I could save $100 or so and build an IB. But why not set myself up for a better, longer term system.

This is my thoughts precisely; very few people upgrade just because a new generation of chips come out. Few people can even afford to do so. It's not about having a massive improvement over last-gen in terms of performance. A couple of small performance increases and a decrease in power consumption is great, it means when people with older chips, such as a Core 2 Duo in this case, upgrade, they get a noticeable performance gain over their chips, and have a lower power consumption.

What really grinds my gears regarding the high efficiency mobile chips is that the really efficient ones are all soldered on, leaving me unable to put any of the those wonderful 17W Ivy processors in my laptop or even updating the bios to handle the haswells...

What really grinds my gears regarding the high efficiency mobile chips is that the really efficient ones are all soldered on, leaving me unable to put any of the those wonderful 17W Ivy processors in my laptop or even updating the bios to handle the haswells...

Time for a new laptop! :wave:

In 2 days my laptop will only be 6 months old lol, I just have a 35W processor and can only imagine the sweet battery life a 17W or a Haswell would benefit me. I still am very happy with my battery life (4+ hrs) and all the specs my laptop bears (1080P, 4 USB 3.0, 8GB etc.) for only being $574.

I won't be upgrading this time around, lets see what the next generation holds.

Wise decision. Upgrading from IB to Haswell doesn't really make sense. Upgrade only because of ~15% improvement. No.

Haswell should be pretty good upgrade from SB or earlier processor. Only only slight advantage being it have higher memory frequency - specially while upgrading from SB.

Edited by d6bmg

In 2 days my laptop will only be 6 months old lol, I just have a 35W processor and can only imagine the sweet battery life a 17W or a Haswell would benefit me. I still am very happy with my battery life (4+ hrs) and all the specs my laptop bears (1080P, 4 USB 3.0, 8GB etc.) for only being $574.

Mine will be a year but I only use it when I travel. Most times its for a couple hours at the airport or in a hotel room so I'm good with 2.5 to 3 hours of battery life and 8 threads!