SSD Transplant

Onion

You might want to read my blog entry that is being posted Saturday on Hoarding on your PC :thumbsup:

Not really hoarding. If I used a 120GB drive for all my music alone it wouldn't be enough. Then throw in the movies and TV shows and you can see why I use a 1TB mechanical drive still lol.

• Like 1

Not really hoarding. If I used a 120GB drive for all my music alone it wouldn't be enough. Then throw in the movies and TV shows and you can see why I use a 1TB mechanical drive still lol.
Still read the article, I actually discuss this :cheers:

You might want to read my blog entry that is being posted Saturday on Hoarding on your PC :thumbsup:

I just have a lot of music that I listen to, tv shows like Top Gear, and I just got 5 new games, so it eats up a lot of space. :( I'd use my second 120 GB and probably get by, but I'd rather have $100 and a hybrid as a second drive. :lol:

Also, benchmarks!

1vYNI.jpg

1vYQ6.jpg

I got the same drive this week as well. This is my first SSD and never thought it'll be this good.:biggrin:

I went from an SSD and traditional drive to a pure SSD solution and I will never go back. Right now I have a 240 Gig SSD for my OS and applications/games and a 60 Gig SSD for my data, that will soon be upgraded to a 120 gig.

Not viable for most people

I went from an SSD and traditional drive to a pure SSD solution and I will never go back. Right now I have a 240 Gig SSD for my OS and applications/games and a 60 Gig SSD for my data, that will soon be upgraded to a 120 gig.

300 gb, that's what I ran on for ages on my 2x raptors. I even used a single raptor for a long time before getting a second. :lol:

Still read the article, I actually discuss this :cheers:

Great article Ed, I am about to rebuild a computer with just a 128 + 256 SSD, my 700GB FLAC music library will stay on a mechanical drive, but the rest is going to be pruned down and the 'hoarded' stuff deleted - you have given me the inspiration :)

Tim

Edited by Great_Gig

300 gb, that's what I ran on for ages on my 2x raptors. I even used a single raptor for a long time before getting a second. :lol:

I have a Crucial M4 256 GB msata drive on the way for my laptop. That will put me at 951GB of usable ssd storage space. :lol:

Not viable for most people

Again I refer you to my blog, it actually isviable for MOST people.

Great article Ed, I am about to rebuild a computer with just a 128 + 256 SSD, my 700GB FLAC music library will stay on a mechanical drive, but the rest is going to be pruned down and the 'hoarded' stuff deleted - you have given me the inspiration :)

Tim

Tim, understood on the music collection but think about it, of that 700GB what percentage do you actively listen too? Also in all seriousness could those needs not be filled with online services? I mean when i want a specific song of album Spotify works great for me. (Even for albums I do not have)

Yeah add in the cost of cloud storage and other online services and you'll be better off just using a mechanical drive. What happens if a site closes w/out prior warning?

Link for your blog?

Again I refer you to my blog, it actually isviable for MOST people.

Tim, understood on the music collection but think about it, of that 700GB what percentage do you actively listen too? Also in all seriousness could those needs not be filled with online services? I mean when i want a specific song of album Spotify works great for me. (Even for albums I do not have)

I don't know about other people, but I've got all my music in either 320 kbps or FLAC. About 30-40 gigs iirc, and I listen to it all. I open my player, hit shuffle, then enjoy. I've also got 25 gigs of top gear episodes, and I watch every single one on a daily basis. Then I've got the 4-5 games I'm currently playing, which eats up a ton of room too. Full SSD just isn't viable for me at the moment.

Yeah add in the cost of cloud storage and other online services and you'll be better off just using a mechanical drive. What happens if a site closes w/out prior warning?

Link for your blog?

Check his sig.

Link for your blog?

Blog link is in my sig. Cloud storage is for the most part free, at least enough for most peoples usage. Also a lot of the "storage" is not needed as streaming through various services offer more choices and a versatile alternative to storing TV shows, music and movies.

Blog link is in my sig. Cloud storage is for the most part free, at least enough for most peoples usage. Also a lot of the "storage" is not needed as streaming through various services offer more choices and a versatile alternative to storing TV shows, music and movies.

So you're telling me you'd rather depend on having an internet connection, stream in low quality (Netflix is terrible, I use it), and have to pay a monthly fee? Here's an example. I've got all the top gear episodes on my laptop, and also on netflix. On my laptop, they're all HD, on netflix, they're standard. Then I want to go take a plane to Miami instead of drive, and have no wifi. What's the solution there? Or what if my internet goes out and I'm bored after a hurricane, which is very common in Florida? Having the physical files is so much more practical. Then there's the issue with bandwith caps. At home, we have AT&T U-Verse, which has a 250 GB cap. With 5 people in a house using the internet constantly, and streaming a lot, we've hit that cap a few times, and the fees are ENORMOUS. Going to streaming only would only make that situation worse.

• Like 1