VCORE Temps

NikoDG

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First, run Coretemp or Realtemp to verify for core temps.

Intel's Max recommended Tcase temperature is 72.6c, so core temps should never exceed 77-78c for safety.

The Tjmax is only the spec that Intel sets to throttle the chip to prevent catastrophic failure. The processor will degrade below this spec, hence the recommended max temp if you care about your chip.

My chip temps for the record never breached 60C, it was just my VCORE that was high. So I'm thinking no benchmarks, OC'ing until I get my water cooling set up. Planning on using a Koolance CPU-370 and Sabertooth X79 (including chipset and VCORE) water blocks hooked up to a 360mm radiator.

Those could be your VRM temperatures - try pointing a fan at your VRM heatsinks to see what kind of difference it makes. Even so, 87 C is not the end of the world for VRMs. They'll handle a LOT more than that before they even begin to degrade.

My chip temps for the record never breached 60C, it was just my VCORE that was high.

Are you taking all you readings from your thermal radar software?

Are you basing your chip temps from the cpu reading in thermal radar, if so it's not core temps.

Have you used Coretemp/Realtemp to verify your CORE temps? I would take a couple of minutes and check just to be on the safe side, it sounds kinda weird to list VRM as VCORE.

So I ran Prime 95 a little longer this time, VCORE hit 87C, that's on stock settings. That shouldn't be happening should it? :(

No your fan is either mounted wrong(it is mounted right? :P) or you used too much tim or its over 100 degrees in your house.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I have been having the same issues as the OP. With a couple small differences.

My rig is as follows:

Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth x79

CPU: Intel 3930k (OC'd to 4.7GHz)

Cooling: Corsair H100

At idle Thermal Radar shows the CPU at 37C and what it calls the VCORE at 54C. Core Temp shows each core hovering around 40C, while the load is around 1-3%. My understanding is that the VCORE is the sum of all cores is this correct? If so, I assume something is not right.

When I stress test it over 50% CPU usage the other temps barely move while VCORE skyrockets to 80C in 5-10 minutes! However this is only in Thermal Radar, no other monitor programs (I have tried them all I think) register this high temperature.

I have attached an image to show where ASUS says the VCORE sensor is and an image detailing the layout of the board. Does this give weight to the VRM theory? Do you know of any monitor programs that track the VRM temp?

I'm not sure what the DIGI+ Power control does, but perhaps that may help take some load off the VRM?

post-83502-0-08275900-1328226003_thumb.png

post-83502-0-45351800-1328227452_thumb.png

Edited by ghostcorps

~80 C on VRMs is nothing. I would put some kind of heatsinks on the VRMs to make them last longer though...

Thanks for the reply,

The Thermal Radar throws up a warning at 80C so I turn off the test but I've seen it get to 86C shortly after the warning while still on a steep incline. If it is the VRM I guess it could get higher, what is safe?

The image above has the sinks removed, THIS is what is actually looks like.