Memory issue with Asus P8P67 WS Revo

f!ver - is this a brand new build (motherboard and all) or just a new kit of memory?

In most situations you can disregard the Qualified Memory Listings as many of them are far from being all conclusive. In fact, I never even look at the QVL. I make sure that the form factor, speed and voltage is correct for the motherboard i'm installing the memory in. There are just too many different motherboards and memory modules for either the motherboard or memory manufacturers to test every single possible configuration.

If I were you I'd try the following;

1. Shutdown computer, unplug power supply, remove motherboard battery and clear cmos

2. Leave one stick of memory in DIMM Slot A2

3. Replace motherboard battery and plug power supply back in

4. Boot and immediately enter BIOS and load the XMP profile

5. Save settings, reboot and run memtest with just a single stick of ram installed

6. If that passes, power down, uplug power supply and install second stick of ram in DIMM Slot B2

7. Plug power supply back in, reboot and run memtest again

8. If everything passes, boot into Windows and check for problems

If you still get freezes, check the windows event viewer for any tell tale critical or error events in both the Applications and System logs. If you find any post them up here. Also, if system freezes continue you might want to check your cpu socket for bent pins. Normally this might manifest itself in one of the DIMM slots not working at all, but suspect that it might also lead to general system instability.

It would also be helpful if you posted up your full system specs. - appears that the hardware in your sig isn't exactly the same as the hardware we are discussing here. Really there are a multitude of variables that might be impacting your situation here.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm still not able to run memtest because for some reason the usb drive wont boot!

I did run the Windows memory diagnostic utility and everything passed but not sure if thats even good

---------------------------------------

So I finally got it pretty much 90% stable. I can do all tasks on my PC with both DIMM's in however when I play a game for like 30 min it locks up also when I ram Prime95 (not overclocked) it immediately reboots after 10 sec.

I'm wondering if maybe I have an issue with the core multiplier on the cpu or the turbo boost?

---------------------------------------

Also the moment I install the Asus PC probe AI 2 or whatever it is the system cant even boot because it starts up with windows, had to boot into safe mode and do a system restore as the program wouldn't even uninstall.

You running SSD or traditional hard drive? Did you try the XMP profile?

Are you still overclocking or is everything set back to Optimized defaults?

Other than the previous steps I've already mentioned, it's hard to determine what is causing the instability without getting back to stock clocks and BIOS settings to determine whether the system is even stable at those. If I were having the same issues, I'd still clear my CMOS, load optimized defaults and then run stability tests. If those passed, my next step would be to enable the XMP profile and then retest. I'd also make a note of all the primary and secondary timings that the XMP profile loaded, in addition to voltages, especially dram voltage and vccio voltage.

Hey fiver. Bishop245 and i had the same issue with the same board. Just to start do you have the 4 pin molex connector next to the 24 pin atx? I know its odd but that is what fixed bishops rig for us.

Hope this helps.

Ok try these settings

1600Mhz

9-9-9-24

Ref Cycle time to 160

Read to Precharge at 10

Four Act WIn to 28

All else to auto

VCCSA to 1.10v

Dram to 1.5v

Burn a memtest ISO to disk and try booting from the disk

This may be a dumb suggestion and maybe you have, flash the motherboard to the latest bios revision. Sometimes the bios is the culprit.

Could be earlier BIOS were presenting some challenges for memory compatibility.