New system build.

AllYourF0rt

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No i5 doesn't have HT. As far as gaming goes, HT doesn't offer any real performance gain for the time being. It seems that enabling HT will actually drop performance in gaming!

Maybe in the future games will take advantage of it. So if you are not in a budget, get i7. Otherwise use the money for a powerful video card.

I have never noticed a difference with or without HT in games. But some apps like HT so I keep it on 100%.

Ok so I'm wondering if I should go with the i5-4670k over the i7-4770k? I'm only gonna really use this PC for gaming and web surfing. Should I go with the i5 OC it and save 100$ or should I get the 4770k? Is there any real worthwhile difference in performance in games with the 4770k?

I'd save the $100, you won't see a difference.

Ok i'll get the i5. I've heard people get very respectable OC's on the 4670k like 4.0-4.5 on the Hyper 212+ EVO which is the HSF i'm gonna get. One other thing i'm not sure about. Since i'm considering running 2 GTX 760's in SLi I can't find any Z87 motherboards with 2 PCIe slots at x16 times only x8. This goes even for like the most expensive motherboards. I don't understand this surely enthusiast boards should have 2 PCIE x16 slots for SLi right? I can't find any.

Edited by AllYourF0rt

Fort - remember that even though they don't offer 2 PCIe lanes at x16, the PCIe lanes on Z77 and Z87 are revision 3.0 @ x8 if two slots are populated for SLi or Crossfire.

Don't worry about the lack of dual x16 lanes when running in SLi.  Your performance is still going to be outstanding, even running at x8 revision 3.0.

The only way you are going to get native support for 2 PCIe lanes running at x16 is if you go to X79.  Also, keep in mind that the speed of the lanes is really only a concern if your gpu solution can saturate the available bandwidth.  Not a problem here.

Ok thanks guys. I'm still up in the air about my VGA solution. I just was looking at the Galaxy Hall Of Fame GTX 780 which is insanely fast and OCable easily faster than a titan. I would prefer sticking with single card if possible. I guess i'll just wait and see what AMD offers with the up and coming Hawaii as well and then make a decision.

I don't see what you could really change, unless you wanted a bigger SSD, large storage drive and/or a 2560x1600 30" monitor

Personally I'd save some money and get 1600 speed memory but that's up to you since you're still in budget. (I'm also not a fan of "named" "gaming" motherboards but again that's even more personal a choice)

Ivy shame on you its not the name its the quality that counts and ROG boards are designed to handle a hell of a lot of punishment there great boards especially for beginners. That being said that is my onion a lot of data back it up in some ways and I know a lot of people say they get faster clocks on ROG boards and the sound features and profiles on it alone make it great that being said if your that below budget depending on what ssd cost remove ssd you have remove the hard drive you will definitely have enough for an evo from Samsung 750gb is on newegg right know for 526.00 and the 500 is 350 I think Edited by Jklein