New system build.

AllYourF0rt

AYF - you won't get any argument from me when it comes to SLi  :)    Many many people will try to persuade you to buy the best single card that you can afford, but I've been buying two mid-range cards and running them in Crossfire or SLi for several years now and I've never regretted that decision.

Not only is performance great, it's just cool because you can!

As for mechanical keyboards, there are lots to choose from.  Corsair, Coolermaster, Razer, DAS, and even Rosewill has come out with their own too.  That isn't an all inclusive list, but there are plenty to choose from.  Much of your decision here will probably be based on budget, reviews and whether you want lighted keys or not.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool thanks guys. Yeah I was pretty surprised when I read about the sli 760's beating a 780 and in some cases a Titan. I've heard of micro stuttering issues and game compatibility problems with sli is that a thing of the past? Although I really want the Silverstone Fortress im not sure I can justify spending 270$ for a case. So I am thinking about this one instead http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=11-139-012&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo  it appeals to my sense of clean style with not alot of lights and much cheaper.

Cases are too personal a thing to recommend, if you like it then buy it. I'm pretty fond of the CM HAF series but I'll never get rid of my custom frankenstein box until it's melted down without my knowledge

In reply to the question about mechanical keyboards-

Giving advice on a good mechanical keyboard for gaming kind of depends on what kind of games you play and the style in which you play them.  I play a good amount of SC2 and League of Legends so I went with a Cherry MX Blue switch mechanical keyboard, the Razer Black Widow Ultimate.  It depends if you want tactile key clicks or non tactile and what kind of games you play.  http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide  is a pretty decent explanation of the different key switches out there.  I think they are missing Cherry MX Green which are somewhat newer... but it will give you a pretty good starting point.  Looking back at my purchase... I kind of wish I would've gone with Cherry MX Red.  The MX Blues are pretty loud.   :doh:

As far as Mecha. keyboards go I vouch for CM Storm. They are built like tanks and represent the best value (even better if on sale). If I was you I would wait for some returns on the new Aluminium line from CM.

In terms of switches, you will have to try them in-store and decide for yourself. I love my MX-Red and riding the actuation point on those is fairly easy to learn since they are linear with no tactile bump. Plus they are virtually silent.

And since it seems the system is for gaming, why not consider an i5?

No i5 doesn't have HT. As far as gaming goes, HT doesn't offer any real performance gain for the time being. It seems that enabling HT will actually drop performance in gaming!

Maybe in the future games will take advantage of it. So if you are not in a budget, get i7. Otherwise use the money for a powerful video card.