Which Intel socket you think will last longer?

I always like to look to the future, which socket you think will out last the other?

LGA 1155 or LGA 2011? I hear that when Haswell comes out, they're phasing out 1155 for a new socket 1150 but no word on whether 2011 with see a Haswell-E or something.

Edited by MJCRO

There's no point trying to plan that far ahead, things are always changing, especially in the tech industry. Besides, by the time Haswell-E comes out you will probably want a new motherboard anyways :P

I dont care as long as an 8core comes to 2011 that is not a xeon (they cost a ton of money).

Well we won't be seeing those till at least ealy '13. :(

Edited by MJCRO

fine with me, by than i'll want to upgrade, maybe even longer. If i was able to use 1366 since 2008 till now i think my update path is either the next next next socket or a 8/16 core 2011.

fine with me, by than i'll want to upgrade, maybe even longer. If i was able to use 1366 since 2008 till now i think my update path is either the next next next socket or a 8/16 core 2011.

+1

The simple answer is 2011. 2011 will support ivy bridge E CPUs, where as the 1155 socket has no future support as of tomorrow. On top of that, the 3820 is a really solid CPU. More so than any socket 1155 CPUs . Long story short, it is more future proof. P.S. @ waco and EVERYONE else who will hunt me for saying future proof, I honestly don't care. I think future proofing is achievable, and that is simply my personal opinion. So please just understand that I can't think of a better word to use in this situation and please don't bomb this thread :erm:

Also, @Niko, just because 2011 has 2011 pins does not mean it is any better than 1155. The die has 2011 pins to support all 8 cores on the CPU, and since 2-4 of them are turned off anyways, the only thing those pins are support is basically a supped up SB chip with better architecture.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

The simple answer is 2011. 2011 will support ivy bridge E CPUs, where as the 1155 socket has no future support as of tomorrow. On top of that, the 3820 is a really solid CPU. More so than any socket 1155 CPUs . Long story short, it is more future proof. P.S. @ waco and EVERYONE else who will hunt me for saying future proof, I honestly don't care. I think future proofing is achievable, and that is simply my personal opinion. So please just understand that I can't think of a better word to use in this situation and please don't bomb this thread :erm:

Also, @Niko, just because 2011 has 2011 pins does not mean it is any better than 1155. The die has 2011 pins to support all 8 cores on the CPU, and since 2-4 of them are turned off anyways, the only thing those pins are support is basically a supped up SB chip with better architecture.

The socket has 2011 pins because the CPU has a quad channel RAM controller and that needs a lot of traces. Number of cores has nothing to do with it.

Edited by emerth