How do Cooler Master's Tool-less drive bays work?

I know that in the HAF series, you push a button to lock the drive in place.

However, I'm wondering... What are the actual mechanics of it?

Does it hold the drive securely? Or would I be better off going with something non-tool-less?

its a slide mec. that holds them in place with a pin that goes in to the screw hole, and unless you plan on moving your machine a bunch or dropping it it will hold fine. my CM690 has them.

Edited by wormy

you should be just fine ive loaded mine in my car and driven about 150 miles on back country roads and the road were full of pot holes and the like and didnt have any issues.

you move the slide thing to the left and it has a hinge that lifts it up you put the drive in and line up the holes and let the slide thing back down and the pins go in the holes and move it to the right

you move the slide thing to the left and it has a hinge that lifts it up you put the drive in and line up the holes and let the slide thing back down and the pins go in the holes and move it to the right

The 690 id different than the HAF 932. The HAF has a push button, not the slide thingy. I just worked on both, so I remember both things. I'm not sure how the puch button one works, but me and my friend took them off to paint them and they were a fun time to get off. Ridiculously hard to get off, so I wouldn't worry about it. From what I can remember, when you push it, it slides little metal pins into the screw holes to keep the drive in place.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a little difficult to do at first... But if you actually take the white slides out of the hard drive rack then its easier to move the metal pin out of the vibration dampening plug. with the plug and pin in your hand move the pin out until it is mostly out but not all the way. o after you have accomplished that reinstall them back into the guides in the drive rack. place the hard drive in from the top. push the pins into place.

Sorry, tryed to take pictures but epic fail..

The tool less clips on the 932 work alot like a click pen (as far as how the pop in and out). It's a small gear and two springs. The pins pop out into the screw holes of whatever drive you put in. They hold the drive very securley. I still put screws in on the backside, but that's just because I can. If you don't want to use the clips, the actually aren't that hard to get off. Getting them back on is a pain, but not impossible. Just use a flathead screwdriver and pry the metal tabs holding them in place up. I did this yesterday to remove the clips while I painted the inside of my 932. Unless you are juggling your computer, or skydiving with it, or something like that, the tool less clips will be just fine.

I should apologize for my post. I thought you were talking about the Hard drive bays and not the expansion slots. they are pretty easy. Just a expansion locking tab type. Simply like red said push on the front side of it to that is knurled to release the tab and then push on the lever to set it into place. It has a pin where the scre should be on the video card or whatever it is then you should hear an audible click to let you know your good to go.