NVIDIA is Preparing Something..

bp9801

It was a dual GPU core card

The 295 was "gimped". The GTX295 was not a true 2x GTX285 which the ASUS Mars I was, the GTX590 was not a true 2x GTX580 which the ASUS Mars II was, the HD6990 was not a true 2x HD6970 like the ASUS Ares was and the HD4870x2 was not a true 2x HD4890. Looks like you never get a true "quality" dual GPU card from Nvidia - You have to wait for a custom ASUS card to come out to gain access to the full clock speeds/SP that two fastest performing single GPU's would have in SLI/CF

The 4870X2 was exactly two 4870s. It's pretty much the only dual GPU card to truely double the single GPU version.

The 295 was "gimped". The GTX295 was not a true 2x GTX285 which the ASUS Mars I was, the GTX590 was not a true 2x GTX580 which the ASUS Mars II was, the HD6990 was not a true 2x HD6970 like the ASUS Ares was and the HD4870x2 was not a true 2x HD4890. Looks like you never get a true "quality" dual GPU card from Nvidia - You have to wait for a custom ASUS card to come out to gain access to the full clock speeds/SP that two fastest performing single GPU's would have in SLI/CF

Yeah I know it was gimped but it still out performed the 4870x2 and was more efficient (where as the 590 just sucked lol), the 680 already out performs the 7970 and is more efficient so they will both: Not have to gimp and also win handily. (just better put adequate Vram or else they're shooting it in the foot)

Lol, come on guys. The proper term for two GPU's on a single PCB is Dual GPU, not Dual GPU cores. Nvidia cards have CUDA cores, which the GTX 680 has 1536 CUDA cores, and the HD 7970 has 2048 cores. A CPU, like an i7 2600K has 4 cores and with hyperthreading, 8 threads.

Anyways, the 6990 probably won't overclock better than the GTX 690. Going by how much power consumption and heat the HD 7970's output, and how much better the GTX 680's are.

What AMD really needs to do is get into the implementation of better algorithms for anti-aliasing like Nvidia is doing. Nvidia's using the "work smarter, not harder" idea while AMD is trying for better hardware and trying to brute force its rendering using outdated AA methods. With 16xQ CSAA, it looks better than 4x MSAA, and performs the same. You can see how much better Batman: Arkham City looks and performs with GTX 580's and GTX 680's with 16x CSAA over HD 7970's with 8x MSAA.

Yeah, it's funny how things have switched. Unfortunately Nvidia has the funding to fight with both strong hardware and strong software implementation while AMD has to dedicate to one direction and pray :-/

The 4870X2 was exactly two 4870s. It's pretty much the only dual GPU card to truely double the single GPU version.

It was?? I thought only the 4850X2 and the first gen 295 were both the true double card, cards. The 4870x2 was all one PCB instead of two closely linked I thought??

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Nividia dose have the better soft war implementations and it would be nice if AMD did the same. Either way I always find it odd that threes more speed present in 2 separate cards and it's cheaper as well.

More importantly is that it's not a fire bomb disguised as a video card (ahem 590).

It was?? I thought only the 4850X2 and the first gen 295 were both the true double card, cards. The 4870x2 was all one PCB instead of two closely linked I thought??

What about the 9800 GX2?

I meant double in that it was exactly as powerful as two 4870 1GB cards. There was no difference in performance between it and discrete cards. :) The 4850X2 was similar.

Its not two flagship GPU's like a 4890x2 would be, the point I was trying to make is that you hardly ever get two flagship GPU's together on one card at the same clock speeds without a 3rd party. We might see two 680s on a single card because the 680 is a midrange card to the GK110 like the GTX560 Ti was to the GTX580

Its not two flagship GPU's like a 4890x2 would be, the point I was trying to make is that you hardly ever get two flagship GPU's together on one card at the same clock speeds without a 3rd party. We might see two 680s on a single card because the 680 is a midrange card to the GK110 like the GTX560 Ti was to the GTX580

But the HD 4870x2 released months (nearly a full year) before the HD 4890 ever came out.

But the HD 4870x2 released months (nearly a full year) before the HD 4890 ever came out.

This. The 4870X2 launched a LONG time before the 4890 came out.

Nyt's probably too young to remember that though. :lol: I bought my first 4870X2 on launch day. :teehee:

• Like 1