Miata rebuild thread 2014

Waco

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

that was in the old school days.... todays light weight stuff is much better. they use 2 pound automatic flywheels on the V8s with a 5in tri-disk clutch and it is grabby but more apt to kill the engine on take offs due to the lack of flywheel momentum...

Light weight flywheel = quickly worn out clutch disk

This ain't no Amurican car - the crank is dampened by a harmonic balanced in the snout puller, not a heavy flywheel. :)

The light flywheel will definitely make it harder to drive, but that's half the fun. :lol:

Says you...in my case my lightweight flywheel was used when the guy said it was new... I should have trusted my eyes at the scorring on it... AFTER I installed it he's like "Oh I only used it a little bit". I wouldn't be as mad if I knew in the first place because I would have resurfaced it but now because of his assholery I my clutch slips under high RPMs or clutch dumps (but only when it's warm/hot out and the car is warm out....aka the best times to drive "spirited")

Upon talking to a guy with a turbo saturn, he believes the stock clutch isn't grabby enough to handle the lighter F/W as he has had this problem before (and my flywheel is the lightest that was available, which isn't made anymore)

that could also be cause by Residual pressure too high in the slave line... been a BIG problem since they reformulated Brake Fluid and havent told anyone.... we've been fighting that a lot...

On Hydraulic clutch cars I have actually been leaving air in the slave to account for heat expansion and the extra residual pressure.... 1inch air free play when cold.... as the engine gets under normal operating temps the free play goes away and normal residual pressure in the system... too much residual in the system cause the clutch to slightly disengage... the hotter the fluid gets the more residual pressure there is the more the clutch disengages...

I've run into this numerous times in clutches and a lot more on brakes on Motorcycles.....

Blah. The oil pump arrived today and they sent me the wrong part.

1973232_10101331190231028_201121807_o.jp

I ordered the flat-faced 1.6L oil pump and they sent the grooved-face 1.8L pump.

This wouldn't bother me (the only difference is an o-ring and some RTV versus a gasket to install) but it cost $30 more to get the exact match and that's what I paid for. :slap:

Time to get some money back...but hey, the build just got cheaper! :lol:

This ain't no Amurican car - the crank is dampened by a harmonic balanced in the snout puller, not a heavy flywheel. :)

cough cough most cars have a harmonic balancer. thats sucks about the wrong parts have you check out rock auto for stock parts?

Most cars do, yes, but an easy way to destroy a lot of older American V8s is a lightweight flywheel without upgrading the damper.

Either that or Frank was implying I can't drive very well. :lol:

cough cough most cars have a harmonic balancer. thats sucks about the wrong parts have you check out rock auto for stock parts?

Love my straight 6, no need for a harmonic balancer. :)

If you compare them apples to apples, then mine is faster. EFI, MS, etc. Mine doesn't have much engine work besides the cam, carb, intake, and exhaust. 

Sounds like excuses to me. :lol:

The only real modification on mine is the ECU - so if that suddenly makes my $3k car another class of car...well I'm not sure what to say to that. :P

Also, oil pump is going back. Seller sent the wrong one and tried to make extra money out of me. The same model he sent is $30 less, so one of those is on the way. :-)