We Need New Guides

Bosco

I cant believe all it really takes is someone asking me to write a guide on *any topic I want* to realize how big of a blithering idiot I am... I dont know how to do ANYTHING good enough to make a guide :P I could make a guide on how to google stuff though...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am open to your suggestions. If you have an idea I would like to hear it. The one thing about guides is the sky is the limit there is no shortage of what to write about. The PhysX , folding etc is all great stuff. How to install Windows, how to install windows from a thumbdrive, how to update video drivers etc etc there is so much. So whatever you guys would like to do I am listening.

:pfp: I will just ignore that post :lol:

You've got mail Dave!

I cant believe all it really takes is someone asking me to write a guide on *any topic I want* to realize how big of a blithering idiot I am... I dont know how to do ANYTHING good enough to make a guide

:withstupid: you're not the only one who feels that way

Dave - PM sent.

Can guides be outside the realm of computers and electronics? Or will those be the primary focus?

I wrote a complete guide for a sample exam on the Simplex Method or Simplex Algorithm (as Wikipedia puts it), if you want that. I'd just need to clean out some things referencing where it's from, as that wouldn't matter.

:withstupid: you're not the only one who feels that way

Along with the PhysX and folding guide, I'll write a guide to guide writing :lol:

I can tell you from years of experience that you never know what you're talking about, until you try to explain it to someone else. Try writing one and see what you come up with. As you go you'll probably notice the little questions you had not thought of before, but must now answer. Also, bouncing what you write off of someone else can help.

I will not lie I do not know how to setup a home network :blush:

I can make a guide for this if there aren't any other takers.

I cant believe all it really takes is someone asking me to write a guide on *any topic I want* to realize how big of a blithering idiot I am... I dont know how to do ANYTHING good enough to make a guide :P I could make a guide on how to google stuff though...

post-32354-12774775008993_thumb.png

I read this quickly and thought you said we needed more guidos. I've got Jersey Shore on the brain. :lol:

:lol::mfp:

Things that come to mind:

• A Basic PC Glossary (A basic guide on what all the components of a PC are, what they do and possibly even going into some technical detail on HOW they do what they do.)
  • How to overclock (Things have changed so drastically over the years that any guide we have on OCC is majorly outdated), I'm thinking possibly even separate guides for AMD and Intel and possibly separate guides for ATi and nVidia as well.
  • How to build and setup a HTPC
  • How to build a NAS rig or a generic networked storage access guide (link from the HTPC guide to a section on networked media streaming?)
  • A storage guide (detailing RAID types and a section on SSDs)
  • Modding guides (No one seems to do this as often as I remember but we need to revamp or redo a lot of the generic modding guides that we have, adding a blowhole fan, adding a sidepanel fan and maybe a guide on lighting?)
  • F@H guide (So many things to talk about between CPU and GPU folding to running linux based clients and even basic terms like what PPD means and what folding is), maybe even have it be a generic distributed folding guide as there are some decent programs like GPUGrid that help amalgamate different causes under one program.

:dunno:

Nice suggestions :thumbsup:

:teehee:

Can guides be outside the realm of computers and electronics? Or will those be the primary focus?

:down:

Things that come to mind:

• A Basic PC Glossary (A basic guide on what all the components of a PC are, what they do and possibly even going into some technical detail on HOW they do what they do.)
  • How to overclock (Things have changed so drastically over the years that any guide we have on OCC is majorly outdated), I'm thinking possibly even separate guides for AMD and Intel and possibly separate guides for ATi and nVidia as well.
  • How to build and setup a HTPC
  • How to build a NAS rig or a generic networked storage access guide (link from the HTPC guide to a section on networked media streaming?)
  • A storage guide (detailing RAID types and a section on SSDs)
  • Modding guides (No one seems to do this as often as I remember but we need to revamp or redo a lot of the generic modding guides that we have, adding a blowhole fan, adding a sidepanel fan and maybe a guide on lighting?)
  • F@H guide (So many things to talk about between CPU and GPU folding to running linux based clients and even basic terms like what PPD means and what folding is), maybe even have it be a generic distributed folding guide as there are some decent programs like GPUGrid that help amalgamate different causes under one program.

:dunno:

I can do the NAS and Home Networking.

As far as the HTPC one do you mean hardware or software? I did one on hardware a long time ago and nobody even commented on it. Likely as I was way ahead of the game building an HTPC earlier than the market was really ready. I went to try and find it but it appears we didn't migrate the historical data when the forum was updated....lemme see if I can dig it up.

IVI had a good question back there - There are Moderators, News editors, Donater's etc will there be "Guiders" ? :)

I'm pretty good with Moding and tweaking games. Perhaps i can do a few more like the "how to get the Maximum from Crysis" Guide iv'e done? I was also going to do a guide to explaining the Different types of Anti-Aliasing (AAA MSAA SSAA Etc..) used in games and what affect they have with reguards to performance :cheers:

I'd like to say :thx: to the Boss for giving us this opportunity to share knowledge for the good of the Site, good man!