Windows 8.1/Blue and the return of the Start Button

DanTheGamer11

And probably because it's acting like 8.1 is a new release instead of a revision.

3.1 was a standalone as well.

i've been on the 8.1 evaluation build 9431 for a couple months or more now and i like it much better than the win8,...smoother, quicker, better thought out, for a more user friendly os than the original ....i think i'll keep it on the gamer rig...

Microsoft have the point in saying that tablets are the future, but they have to understand that the time have not come yet. Till that point of time, when people won't be caring anything other than a touch screen device, start burron & menu is the ay to go not their new mouses with start button.

Those who haven't seen them yet see here: http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/windowsexperience/archive/2013/05/23/announcing-sculpt-comfort-mouse-amp-mobile-mouse.aspx

I just got a new computer for my work and it had Windows 8 on it. It was horrible. I've had every Windows since 3.1 and this is, by far, the absolute worst evolution that I have ever experienced. I'm going to bring it to the "Geek Squad" and have them install Windows 7, or something they think is better. I'm telling everyone I know NOT to get Windows 8. It is truly a nightmare. 

Microsoft have the point in saying that tablets are the future, but they have to understand that the time have not come yet. Till that point of time, when people won't be caring anything other than a touch screen device, start burron & menu is the ay to go not their new mouses with start button.

Those who haven't seen them yet see here: http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/windowsexperience/archive/2013/05/23/announcing-sculpt-comfort-mouse-amp-mobile-mouse.aspx

I just got a new computer for my work and it had Windows 8 on it. It was horrible. I've had every Windows since 3.1 and this is, by far, the absolute worst evolution that I have ever experienced. I'm going to bring it to the "Geek Squad" and have them install Windows 7, or something they think is better. I'm telling everyone I know NOT to get Windows 8. It is truly a nightmare.
Geek squad?

Come on, you can't truly appreciate an operating system until you install it yourself.

I wouldn't trust a corporate run computer store to properly copy ONE file let alone change my OS.

Can you be specific please, what about it was a nightmare? This is not a joke or a poke I am curious at what about the OS was so bad you had to down grade it rather than just use a program like Start8 or StartisBack to fix the interface back to a traditional one.

Can you be specific please, what about it was a nightmare? This is not a joke or a poke I am curious at what about the OS was so bad you had to down grade it rather than just use a program like Start8 or StartisBack to fix the interface back to a traditional one.

He's going to geek squad to install Win7 so either they're a troll or just bad with computers altogether. Though it could just be the tile stock interface which I also hate.

I'm happy with Windows 8 as is.....oh yeah I have classic shell installed.  Seriously though its fine.  For the haters you can always go but an overpriced Apple!

Same, almost went back to WIn7 because of a few things but Classic Shell cleared them up. (and initially, there are no drivers for my board...the Win7 ones eventually started working though)

I've been using the clasic shell on my win8 system and have grown to like it. There was quite a learing curve on customizing the start screen, and some things are a bit more complicated then they used to be but all in all it's not a bad os, and seems to run quite fast.

I did notice that the win8 movie players (xbox and media player) doesnt recognize some of my movie files that win7 had no problem with, which is anoying.

I've been using the clasic shell on my win8 system and have grown to like it. There was quite a learing curve on customizing the start screen, and some things are a bit more complicated then they used to be but all in all it's not a bad os, and seems to run quite fast.

I did notice that the win8 movie players (xbox and media player) doesnt recognize some of my movie files that win7 had no problem with, which is anoying.

Install KLite Codec Pack and use Media Player Classic (or VLC)

The only change I've made on Windows 8 is bringing back the start button with Start8. I'm more happy with my Windows 8 with Start8 than I was with Windows 7. I like all the small little tweaked features like a speed graph thing when you're transferring files for example. 

• 6 months later...

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/pc/build-conference-laid-bare-in-microsoft-leak-1207662

Windows%208.1%20Menu-580-100.jpg

So apparently they're going to bring back the start menu as we knew it in Windows 7 etc but with tiles too. I don't really miss the start menu too much because I mostly have shortcuts on the desktop for everything, but some older programs don't create on automatically(even though the option is selected) and it won't appear in the Metro app screen, so hopefully this will resolve that.

Edited by DanTheGamer11