Vista and HD audio.

greengiant912

Hey so I installed vista over the weekend. I got it running alright after a bunch of tweaking. However there is one issue that is still bothering me...

I have SoundMax Integrated HD audio. I have updated the driver to full.. However when I goto play some games Call of duty 4, Wow even. I don't hear any sound.... I have googled like crazy looking for a solution but to no anvil..

Anyone else having issues?

Oh yeah I also have a USB sound card installed for ventrillo and my headset...

Edited by greengiant912

Load up a game, then alt tab back to desktop. Right click on your sound icon and make sure the bar is maxed on your application. Also check if your speaker tab, is showing the wave bar going up and down for audio playback.

so you have a usb sound card and an integrated sound card. i'm assuming you have your speakers hooked up the the later. i'm going to go ahead assume you're having a driver conflict. try uninstalling the drivers for one. see if you get sound out of the other. if that works, you're prolly SOL with having them both.

so you have a usb sound card and an integrated sound card. i'm assuming you have your speakers hooked up the the later. i'm going to go ahead assume you're having a driver conflict. try uninstalling the drivers for one. see if you get sound out of the other. if that works, you're prolly SOL with having them both.

Yeah I gave that a shot. It seems to work for some things now but games like COD 4 it still doesn't seem to like it... Its pretty annoying o.o

hmm... I just hit my speakers on and off and it seems to be working what the heck... lol..

Idk I am not really liking vista all that much so many little quarks about it. I guess its just something you gotta get used to.. I am taking a vista class and possibly the cert soon so that's why I loaded it up o.o...

i have a setup similiar to this. i got a usb sound device that came with my altec lansing headset so i've been using that for vent, mostly only whe i play guild wars, and have my speakers hooked up to my integrated sound (my diamond sound card doesn't have 64-bit drivers..what the heck?) anyway, i noticed that when i plugged my usb sound device in, windows automatically set the device as default (until i plugged it back out). So try checking that out, if so just set default back to your integrated.

Hope this helps (and is the case)

i have a setup similiar to this. i got a usb sound device that came with my altec lansing headset so i've been using that for vent, mostly only whe i play guild wars, and have my speakers hooked up to my integrated sound (my diamond sound card doesn't have 64-bit drivers..what the heck?) anyway, i noticed that when i plugged my usb sound device in, windows automatically set the device as default (until i plugged it back out). So try checking that out, if so just set default back to your integrated.

Hope this helps (and is the case)

:withstupid: I too have integrated sound on my home PC and a USB headset I leave connected. All I do is right-click the sound icon in the taskbar and select "playback devices". Then I just disable my integrated and the USB auto-enables, and vice versa. Pretty simple...takes all of 10 seconds.

I never had audio issues with CoD4, although I did with COD:WAW.

My resolution, if you wanna call it that, was to scrap the on board audio. It's not the cheapest resolution, but not having audio driver updates since 2007 provides a unique challenge I wasn't prepared to handle any longer. With Windows 7 upcoming, I doubt my issues would get easier.

With that said, one of the features I really like about vista is the ability to specify the audio output of each application. If this was a feature before, I'm possibly quite blind. Setting my little 16bit USB headset to handle voice chat applications like Ventrilo/Teamspeak/Xfire/Skype and have my speakers handle sounds from primary applications.

Anyway; I know it's not always feasible to go running out and buy new hardware when current stuff isn't behaving properly. It just seemed to be an up hill battle I wasn't prepared to make moving forward.