Server build for a web store

spectrascope

Looking to build a cheap server for a web outlet hybrid store, the buying and selling will be done through ebay as they already have an inclusive data base system for products, a cart etc.

But their is another part to this where I need a box that can host a forum(with lots and lots of pictures and videos), a blog for the owner and, individual customer profiles and blogs, as well as digital product catalog with embed links to there ebay counter parts, as well as a stable e-mail server for the site. The server also needs to capture ebay the data generated by ebay store of which customer is buying what for better customer tailored services.

We are looking at business class net connection 30Mbps up 30Mbps unlimited traffic, dhcp address provided, and countered via dynamic dns.

The max user count that has ever been online was just over 3,000 so with guest and new members I am thinking 10,000 max users.

Looking a building this server/workstation from scratch I say workstation as this machine will also be used manage the site and ebay content directly.

I am thinking that storage and reliability will be the main issues, and that processing power should not be a huge requirement, nor should graphics though dual monitor will be need to effectively manage the large amounts of information that will need to be viewed simultaneously by the owner. So I was planning a raid 5+1 setup, 1.396TB usable space, I3 1155 2120, H77 mobo, 8GBs of ram.

exact part for part list

I3 2120

8GB Pareema (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600

GIGABYTE GA-H77M-D3H

4x HITACHI 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hardware raid 5

1x HITACHI 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" software mirrored(raid 1) of the raid 5 arrray

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2

LG Black 12X Super Multi Blue with 3D Playback & M-DISC Support SATA

NZXT GAMMA Classic Series

4x Phanteks PH-F120S_BK 120mm

CORSAIR H70 Core

2x AOC 2236vw Glossy Black 22" 1920x1080

1x BYTECC Model HMD-6 6 ft. HDMI High Speed Male to DVI-D Male Single Link Cable M-M

6x Link Depot Model LD-SATA3-0.5M 19.69" SATA III Round Cable with Latch M-M

1x APC BR1000G 1000 VA 600 w Power-saving Back-UPS

Microsoft Desktop 400 5MH-00001 Black USB Wired Standard Keyboard

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM

ESET Smart Security 5

Microsoft Office 2010 Home & Student

Microsoft Office Access 2010

-----------------------------------------------

$2035.75USD for workstation webserver

critiques please.

it might be cheaper to rent a server. yahoo has business webhosting for $8 a month with unlimited data, bandwidth and SQL support for forums.

if you are set on doing it yourself, than you really want go the server route (xeon chip) and ECC ram. since you are going to buy a i3 than it looks like you don't need cpu power (which is true) so the cheapest chip will be okay. avoid raid-5 for mission critical data (yes it's redundant but 2 failures at the same time and you lose all your data).

you are going to get a raid controller (which is much better than using the cpu to do the data work) so you are all set. just make sure its not cpu run and has its own dedicated controller or it's pointless to get a raid controller other than the ports.

I going to repeat myself again (for ever person who wants a server or workstation) you NEED a Sever chip (because it supports ECC ram) and ECC ram IF you want o run the server 24/7. you are running a business and down time costs you money. some people are lucky and run desktop system and leave the computer on 24/7 BUT you are building a new system, you have the money and this isn't going to cost more (probably the same or less). Lession of the day, don't skimp on mission critical systems.

Edited by hornybluecow