iPhone OS 4.0

Ryu Hayabusa

AFAIK the reason they revealed it so early is so that they could take complaints early in development and shape it to meet consumer demand.

so they remove cut and paste , what about the true multitasking that only WM6.X has and that WM7 looks to not have?? :blink: I should start complaining on some WM forums :lol:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

so they remove cut and paste , what about the true multitasking that only WM6.X has and that WM7 looks to not have?? :blink: I should start complaining on some WM forums :lol:

Resource management. Cut and paste is also something they are thinking about changing because of the "uproar".

WM 6.5 will not be discontinued, so you've still got a great OS. They aren't competing against each other.

Resource management. Cut and paste is also something they are thinking about changing because of the "uproar".

WM 6.5 will not be discontinued, so you've still got a great OS. They aren't competing against each other.

I just don't know why they need to remove features that the old predecessor had.

My answer to resource management is 512MB of memory and the 1Ghz snapdragons :rolleyes:

My answer to resource management is 512MB of memory and the 1Ghz snapdragons :rolleyes:

Tell me this wouldn't happen... it happens on PC all the time.

"Why is my computer so slow I bought this garbage a month ago"

*My eyes look at the taskbar where there are 50 Firefox tabs, two virus scans going on, several video editing sessions, and minimized games*

*My eyes look at the taskbar where there are 50 Firefox tabs, two virus scans going on, several video editing sessions, and minimized games*

*inserts quad core and 4GB of memory*

Done :)

I just don't know why they need to remove features that the old predecessor had.

Well actually, Android and now iPhone have answered your resource management question with limited multitasking. Android shuts down programs that you haven't used in a while, thus freeing up resources for the apps that you are using. With the iPhone, you have only certain functions of apps running in the background and not the full app itself. So for example, you need to listen to Pandora, then only the music playback function will continue running in the background; the rest of the app, such as the visuals and whatnot, aren't running. This saves on processor cycles and thus increases battery life. All the benefits of multitasking with none of the cons. This is great for smartphones since you really can't have more than one app up front anyway.

Well actually, Android and now iPhone have answered your resource management question with limited multitasking. Android shuts down programs that you haven't used in a while, thus freeing up resources for the apps that you are using. With the iPhone, you have only certain functions of apps running in the background and not the full app itself. So for example, you need to listen to Pandora, then only the music playback function will continue running in the background; the rest of the app, such as the visuals and whatnot, aren't running. This saves on processor cycles and thus increases battery life. All the benefits of multitasking with none of the cons. This is great for smartphones since you really can't have more than one app up front anyway.

Did not know this, thanks for letting me know!

Then yes, WP7 is pretty far behind in that area.

Yeah I don't mind that they do it this way, as the hardware gets better it feels more and more like real multitasking.

• 1 month later...

I installed it last night on my 3G. While I don't had access to all of the features, the ones I can use are great. I really like the folders, I really should have installed that back when I was jailbroken. Everything looks crisper, and this is on the older screen, I can't wait to see how good it's gonna look on the higher resolution screen. My favorite feature is the unified inbox. No longer will I have to tap several times just to switch between my accounts.

Performance on the 3G is still a bit sluggish, but I've noticed that iOS4 has better battery management, my phone hasn't been draining as quickly as it used to. I definitely believe Apple's claims of 300 hours of standby for the iPhone 4.

Just installed it :)

post-66459-12760676075808_thumb.jpg

Instructions:

http://gumballtech.com/2010/06/07/download-ios4iphone-os-4-0-gm-here-itunes-9-2-beta-included/

You need a MAC unfortunately

That is unfortunate :P

I installed it last night on my 3G. While I don't had access to all of the features, the ones I can use are great. I really like the folders, I really should have installed that back when I was jailbroken. Everything looks crisper, and this is on the older screen, I can't wait to see how good it's gonna look on the higher resolution screen. My favorite feature is the unified inbox. No longer will I have to tap several times just to switch between my accounts.

Performance on the 3G is still a bit sluggish, but I've noticed that iOS4 has better battery management, my phone hasn't been draining as quickly as it used to. I definitely believe Apple's claims of 300 hours of standby for the iPhone 4.

Is it better in standby or while in active use?? I recently did some tweaks to my phone to up my standby battery life

Glad to hear no drawbacks though! :thumbsup:

It's definitely better on standby, at least compared to before. Since the battery is about two years old, it can barely last all day on standby. It's been 24 hours since I updated and there's still plenty of battery left.