Guide To Smp Folding With Linux In Vmware

CheeseMan42

I don't see anything wrong in the log. It looks like it finished the unit properly. Here's what it says at the end of that unit.

Completed 250000 out of 250000 steps  (100 percent)
[03:02:17] Writing final coordinates.
[03:02:34] Past main M.D. loop
[03:02:38] Will end MPI now
[03:03:39] 
[03:03:39] Finished Work Unit:
[03:03:39] - Reading up to 21310704 from "work/wudata_04.arc": Read 21310704
[03:03:56] - Reading up to 555796 from "work/wudata_04.xtc": Read 555796
[03:03:56] goefile size: 0
[03:03:56] logfile size: 331819
[03:03:57] Leaving Run
[03:03:57] - Writing 22204691 bytes of core data to disk...
[03:04:02]   ... Done.

Then, I shut it down and turned it off...

Folding@Home Core Shutdown: INTERRUPTED

Folding@Home Client Shutdown

Any thoughts on this?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like you shut it down before it had a chance to send in the results...

[19:04:07] - Shutting down core
[19:06:07] 
[19:06:07] Folding@home Core Shutdown: FINISHED_UNIT
[19:06:09] CoreStatus = 64 (100)
[19:06:09] Sending work to server
[19:06:09] Project: 2653 (Run 10, Clone 0, Gen 112)

[19:06:09] + Attempting to send results [February 14 19:06:09 UTC]
[19:10:09] + Results successfully sent
[19:10:09] Thank you for your contribution to Folding@Home.
[19:10:09] + Number of Units Completed: 7

[19:10:14] - Preparing to get new work unit...

Looks like you shut it down before it had a chance to send in the results...

[19:04:07] - Shutting down core
[19:06:09] CoreStatus = 64 (100)
[19:06:09] Sending work to server
[19:06:09] Project: 2653 (Run 10, Clone 0, Gen 112)

[19:06:09] + Attempting to send results [February 14 19:06:09 UTC]
[19:10:09] + Results successfully sent
[19:10:09] Thank you for your contribution to Folding@Home.
[19:10:09] + Number of Units Completed: 7

[19:10:14] - Preparing to get new work unit...

Lol. Great. There isn't anyway to pick up the checkpoint from that WU is there? Is the data still stored in my Folding folder somewhere?

Lol. Great. There isn't anyway to pick up the checkpoint from that WU is there? Is the data still stored in my Folding folder somewhere?

You should be able to start it back up and it will send it in, if not look in the folder and one of the files will have .res or results something like that at the end or in the file name. Make note of what number it is, to send results you would just ./fah6 -smp -send all or -send ##

It had started a new WU this morning so I'm not sure if I can still send it. I looked for that file and the only thing remotely close was titled wuresults_04.dat. I tried sending it in but got an error because I was currently running folding on that VM. So I stopped it and tried doing -send 04 and that failed; then tried -send all and it just said sending results... and then it shut down. I guess it's lost...

It had started a new WU this morning so I'm not sure if I can still send it. I looked for that file and the only thing remotely close was titled wuresults_04.dat. I tried sending it in but got an error because I was currently running folding on that VM. So I stopped it and tried doing -send 04 and that failed; then tried -send all and it just said sending results... and then it shut down. I guess it's lost...

Yea you cant send it while its running, is it still in the folder after it said sending? You may gave to do a qfix now you may have messed it up..

I have followed the guide best I could using VMWare Server and I have to say I've struggled.

Would I be right in saying that VMWare Workstation is only available if you pay $189.00 or whatever it was?

Anyway I think I've got it working and Ubuntu installed, updated and working.

I am having a problem with the "sudo apt-get install ia32-libs " in the terminal. I enter the password and get the message "Couldn't find package ia32-libs".

Any ideas?

Cheers

Paul

Edited by paulktreg

I have followed the guide best I could using VMWare Server and I have to say I've struggled.

Would I be right in saying that VMWare Workstation is only available if you pay $189.00 or whatever it was?

Anyway I think I've got it working and Ubuntu installed, updated and working.

I am having a problem with the "sudo apt-get install ia32-libs " in the terminal. I enter the password and get the message "Couldn't find package ia32-libs".

Any ideas?

Cheers

Paul

Not sure about the workstation but server is free. You need to make sure the downloadable software from internet options are checked. System>Administrator>Software Sources

Not sure about the workstation but server is free. You need to make sure the downloadable software from internet options are checked. System>Administrator>Software Sources

Everything is ticked!

Still not working. I'll be the first to admit I don't have any knowledge of VMWare or Linux so I think I'm going to forget it for now, it's taking far too much time farting about, I'll stick with Windows. ;)

Thanks

Paul

Cheese, couple things I've found out from poking around the Folding Forums...

First, it seems that Ubuntu 8.04 folds faster than Ubuntu 8.10... Looks like I need to redo my whole VM setup :angry:

Also, there's some stuff here about SMP boosts with i7s.

EDIT: Link corrected... r-r, you may want to take a peak at that, not sure if it is useful to you.

Yes it is very useful, however I have been using advmethods and native ubuntu with quads to get a2 cores for awhile now I have mentioned a few times that a2 cores get more points. Four cores has to be detected to get them and advmethods enabled in the client or used to anyway, this might have changed as somebody said the other day that they got a2s in vmware. That is how I get 3,000 ppd or more on one smp client, which left out vmware users as it only detects 2 cores. I already knew about the smp 8 also, been using it since day one with the i7, it also request a2 cores. To bad a2s wont work in windows...

Everything is ticked!

Still not working. I'll be the first to admit I don't have any knowledge of VMWare or Linux so I think I'm going to forget it for now, it's taking far too much time farting about, I'll stick with Windows. ;)

Thanks

Paul

try typing sudo apt-get update at the terminal. It sounds like your dependencies may not be up to date.